TPG Community

Get online support

Wireless extension from VR1600v router

vp
Level 2
Level 2

I've trawled here and elsewhere for how to extend a VR1600v router wirelessly.

I have learnt that WDS has been disabled for security reasons.

The VR1600v was supplied by iiNet as part of a performance upgrade.

I can configure the EX6110 extender but it can't find the router.

Any suggestions? A hard-wired solution is not an option.

Cheers,

vp

11 REPLIES 11
david64
Level 15

Hi vp. How did you go connecting the EX6110 to the VR1600v?

dhayy002
Level 2
Is there any TPG moderator who can answer VP’s question?
I have read through so many posts about how to extend wifi range of VR1600v router but none of them really answers this question.
I am looking to buy an extender in order to connect solar system and security cameras to my TPG router but looks like it’s just going to be wastage of my money as I have no answers on how to approach this.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP REGARDING THIS? Smiley Sad
Shane

Hi @dhayy002,

@vp 's TP-Link Vr1600 is supplied by iiNET we do not have information on what settings is required to setup a Wireless Extender. 

We do not have a reference on how to setup a 3rd party WIFI extender also Solar System and Security Cameras you may let us know that required settings for your 3rd party device(s) and we'll check the settings that we can/needs a change to make it compatible with our supplied modem/router 

Here are some threads that you may find helpful about Wireless/WIFI Extender.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Is there any TPG moderator who can answer VP’s question?
I have read through so many posts about how to extend wifi range of VR1600v router but none of them really answers this question.
I am looking to buy an extender in order to connect solar system and security cameras to my TPG router but looks like it’s just going to be wastage of my money as I have no answers on how to approach this.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP REGARDING THIS? Smiley Sad
vp
Level 2
Level 2

It is not possible, David.

TPG needs to fix the modem / router firmware / software.

vp
Level 2
Level 2

TPG has disabled the WPS function on that particular router.

david64
Level 15

Hi vp.

Did you follow the instructions for setting up the ex6110? Initial setup is done with it next to the router. Use your mobile to check that the router is generating two wifi networks.

After setup, move the extender to a position where you need the extra coverage but it still detects the router. Use your mobile to check the strength of the router signal. Then check the range of the ex6110 network.

Find the Best Location
If the WiFi signal is weak, the first time you join the extender network, the Router LED or Device LED is
amber or red. If this happens, adjust the position of the extender:
• If the Router LED is amber or red, move the extender closer to the router.
• If the Device LED is amber or red, move the computer or mobile device closer to the extender.

vp
Level 2
Level 2

David,

Tried all that.

I can set up the extender as a router and I can log on to it from my laptop.

Problem is that the Archer (40 cm away) will not recognize it - because the WPS function has been removed.

david64
Level 15

Hi vp.

What do you mean that TPG has disabled WPS? Have you had a firmware update from them since moving from iinet? Or, did iinet disable WPS?

The TPG article shows how to enable WPS function and it is used via a button on the top of the router.

Apart from WPS, you can logon to the router and use the NETGEAR installation assistant to connect the extender to your WiFi router. The manual says to follow the prompts.

vp
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

Looks as if there has been a firmware update. 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n.

The WPS function on the VR1600v is now active. It can't find the ex6110.

I can logon to the ex6110. The wps and router lights are on. It is secured but there is no interent access.

I'm still working on it.