TPG Community

Get online support

disable ipv6 on vx420-g2h

traltixx
Level 2

Hi,

is there a way to disable ipv6 for tp link model vx420-G2h ? im on firmware version 2.0.0.0.9 ..

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
BasilDV

Hi @traltixx

We'd like to check on what type of service you have with us in order to provide information.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you further.

BasilDV

traltixx
Level 2
ok. sent. just to clarify, i want to disable ipv6 on my lan. i can go to each machine on my lan and disable ipv6 (like windows,etc) but this isnt a solution
BasilDV

Hi @traltixx

For Home Wireless Broadband (4G/5G), It is not advisable for the IPv6 to be disabled with your modem/router.

We use the IPv6 function for us to help/support customers with their service issues.

You may try to disable the IPv6 on your devices instead. 

BasilDV

traltixx
Level 2
ok. in that case, how do i adjust the dns for ipv6? i cant seem to change the one that came with the router.
BasilDV

Hi @traltixx

Have you tried changing it through your devices?

BasilDV

traltixx
Level 2
yes and it works but some devices (like phones) it is not possible to disable ipv6. unless you want to help me disable ipv6 on various phones (and other devices)
BasilDV

Hi @traltixx

If you want to set the DNS on your mobile phones, then you need to change the IP settings to Static.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @traltixx . Unfortunately, no-one has provided a manual for the VX420.

In the router config, there might be separate sections for LAN config and WAN config. You might be able to disable ipv6 on lan side while leaving it enabled on the wan side.

Having the G2h model, are you on 4G home wireless broadband? For the cabled NBN connections, IPv6 is disabled on wan and lan.

traltixx
Level 2
yeah, there doesnt seem to be an option to turn off ipv6 on lan. im not touching wan at all.
also static ip for phones? i dont think that is feasible because some phones keep their ip setting regardless of network. i dont think thats a good idea. either way, i cant adjust the client settings. its not a feasible solution.
are there other modems tpg can provide that can disable ipv6 for LAN ONLY for wireless broadband? or maybe an updated firmware that has this function?