TPG Community

Get online support

nbn modem settings for ASUS DSL-AC88U

adrianvujcic
Level 2

Hi Community,

I am trying to set up my new ASUS DSL-AC88U and can not get it to connect. Want to use this modem as it is compatable with nordvpn and the tp-link is not.

Not getting a lot from the tech support line past the basic settings. See screenshot attached for my WAN settings. I have tried my user name with @TPG, and @TPG.com.au on the end but no difference.

Really hoping it is something else that needs to be configured but i am not very knowlegeable with advanced modem configuration. 

Any help would be appreciated as i have spent many hours on this and having no luck.

Thanks

Adrian

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hey, @adrianvujcic

What type of NBN connection do you have? Can we try to setup the username without the TPG domain (@tpg.com.au) ?

Hi Community,

I am trying to set up my new ASUS DSL-AC88U and can not get it to connect. Want to use this modem as it is compatable with nordvpn and the tp-link is not.

Not getting a lot from the tech support line past the basic settings. See screenshot attached for my WAN settings. I have tried my user name with @TPG, and @TPG.com.au on the end but no difference.

Really hoping it is something else that needs to be configured but i am not very knowlegeable with advanced modem configuration. 

Any help would be appreciated as i have spent many hours on this and having no luck.

Thanks

Adrian

adrianvujcic
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your reply. Its a fttn nbn connection.

I tried it with and without the domain name and still didnt connect.

thanks,

Adrian

david64
Level 15

Hi @adrianvujcic . Being FTTN requires the DSL connection to phone wall socket.

(Presume your internet connection works when the TP-Link is connected.)

Is the DSL indicator on?

The Asus manual has no info on doing the network configuration. The WAN type needs to be "VDSL WAN (PTM)" but it is saying Not Active.

Do you have anything like this?

On the home screen, select Advanced Settings > WAN.

Click Internet Connection tab.

Set WAN Type to DSL.

Regarding Nordvpn, in what way is the Asus suitable but the TP-Link is not? What model TP-Link is it?

Usually, your computer or tablet runs a VPN client which connects to the VPN provider. This lets other devices function with the internet directly.

adrianvujcic
Level 2

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply - i have responded with answers below (bold and underlined) but still no connection.

Let me know if this makes sense.

Cheers,

Adrian

@david64 wrote:

Hi @adrianvujcic . Being FTTN requires the DSL connection to phone wall socket. - yes correct this is what i have 

(Presume your internet connection works when the TP-Link is connected.) Yes this is correct

Is the DSL indicator on? - no, the indicator is not on when i connect to the ASUS

The Asus manual has no info on doing the network configuration. The WAN type needs to be "VDSL WAN (PTM)" but it is saying Not Active.

Do you have anything like this?

On the home screen, select Advanced Settings > WAN.

Click Internet Connection tab.

Set WAN Type to DSL. - Yes, although it says DSL / Ethernet and then you select VDSL - see attached for screenshot

Regarding Nordvpn, in what way is the Asus suitable but the TP-Link is not? What model TP-Link is it?

Usually, your computer or tablet runs a VPN client which connects to the VPN provider. This lets other devices function with the internet directly. - I am unable to install the VPN client on all my devices so need to be able to configure it directly to the modem. None of the TP-Links are able to be configured and the ASUS is compatible directly with NordVPN configuration.

david64
Level 15

@adrianvujcic . Presume the TP-Link config also has VLAN ID 2?

The DSL light should come on, same as on the TP-Link. The phone cable goes to DSL port on Asus?

Call Asus support about the DSL light, setting the WAN type, and why the "Not Active" indicator is on.

The DSL/Ethernet looks to be a drop-down menu with only the one option. 

Does the VDSL WAN drop-down have any other options?

The PVC Summary has a green tick in the Internet column. What does that mean?

david64
Level 15

@adrianvujcic . Have you tried a test of not using the VPN client. It may affect the operation with TPG's server.

Although, the VPN client should only interact with the local devices, not affect the internet side of the router. 

The VPN client makes a normal connection through the internet to Nordvpn.

BasilDV

Hi @adrianvujcic

We'd like to look into your account and confirm if the ASUS modem/router is getting a signal from the server.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

pariotti
Level 2

Hi

I have a similar problem with my ASUS DSL-AC88U.

I have set up the wirelss network.

the DSL line tells me I am getting a signal.

However no internet.

Any help would be very welcomed.

BasilDV

Hi @pariotti

We'd like to check the configuration that you've done with your ASUS device.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV