TPG Community

Get online support

unable to setup Netgear AX1800 RAX10 ROUTER to FTTN connection

kevinheather
Level 2
Hello, ive been reading through similar threads on here trying to setup my new router betgesr router. im unable to get an internet connection unless i am piggybacking off the original tpg tp-link router.

i have read through some threads on here and setup my vlan ID to 2,
made sure i use my correct tpg username and password. set the connection as ppoe, im struggling to figure out why the router cant find the connection.
3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @kevinheather . With FTTN, you need the RJ11 connection from the TP-Link router (VR1600 is it?) to the telephone wall socket. The RAX10 has no RJ11, only RJ45 for connection to an NBN box. The RAX10 can be used as an extender to the TP-Link, or TP-Link can be put into bridge mode and RAX10 manages the home network.

kevinheather
Level 2
okay thanks, ill have to return it and get a different type of router then, i want to rule out the tp-link ac1600 as the issue (nearly 3 years old)as whenever i stream anything i get a lot of random buffering. although my internet speeds are good and i have a wifi mesh system plugged in to the router. ill try and get one of the other type netgewe ones that have the right ports. cheers.
david64
Level 15

@kevinheather . A few points:

You can check the DSL info in the VR1600 for the down and up speeds the router is getting, and line characteristics.

What speed plan are you on? What speeds do you get using the speed test on TPG's support page?

Does the buffering occur at particular times (evening?)?

This iiNet article has a selection of routers for FTTN and shows how to set VLAN ID. 

https://help.iinet.net.au/setting-common-non-iinet-supplied-modems-nbn-fttbn