TPG Community

Get online support

using non-voip router temporarily

SOLVED Go to solution
Lhousto
Level 2
As the title suggests, I need to connect a router to access the internet, while arranging to have a replacement voip modem sent out.

Not being able to use the home phone sucks (as is not having the internet), but I have another router that doesn't have voip capabilities, which I figure I can temporarily use to at least get internet access until the Voip one arrives.

It is crucial I get access to the internet for work, so I need to get my router connected.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Cheers.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@Lhousto . If the VR2800 has been used with TPG prior to VR1600, it may still be set up correctly.

Otherwise, do factory reset. 

Go to Advanced, Operation Mode. Check that DSL Modem router mode is selected.

Go to Basic, Internet page.

ISP List: Other

DSL modulation: VDSL

VLAN ID: Enable

VLAN ID: 2

Internet connection type: PPPoE

Username with @tpg.com.au 

Password

SAVE.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Lhousto . You can do that. What is the model of the broken router and the temporary one?

What type of NBN connection do you have?

Lhousto
Level 2
Hi David!

We have nbn FFTN, and the old modem was an Archer VR1600v.

The non-voip router we're trying to connect in the meantime is a TP-Link Archer VR2800 (additionally labelled 'AC2800').

Thanks for reaching out!
david64
Level 15

@Lhousto . If the VR2800 has been used with TPG prior to VR1600, it may still be set up correctly.

Otherwise, do factory reset. 

Go to Advanced, Operation Mode. Check that DSL Modem router mode is selected.

Go to Basic, Internet page.

ISP List: Other

DSL modulation: VDSL

VLAN ID: Enable

VLAN ID: 2

Internet connection type: PPPoE

Username with @tpg.com.au 

Password

SAVE.

Lhousto
Level 2
Thankyou David!

I had been dealing with customer service/technicians regarding the other faulty modem over a number of days, and I wasn't keen to find time again to contact them over the phone to sort out getting some internet access (which research had shown me was possible, even without Voip functionality).

I'm so relieved! Your assistance has been valuable!

Following your advice, it feels like I have received good fortune - so I wish you good fortune in return!

Much appreciated.

👍👍👍