TPG Community

Get online support

Adding a second router.

bruce351
Level 2

I have a wifi router from TPG in my house and it works fine.

I built a shed that is 40 metres from my house and it is too far for the wifi signal to reach.

When I laid the power to the shed we added a phone line at the same time so that I could connect it at a later date.

How do I connect a second router in the shed to the router in the house so that we can both use the net in both places at the same time?

There is only the two of us and no heavy load on the wifi.

Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
BasilDV

Hi @bruce351 

Welcome to the Community!

We tried to search for your account using your community details to no avail.

First, we'd like to understand what type of service you have with us in order to assess if the setup that you want is possible or not.

Are you under the NBN service or ADSL service? If NBN, are you under the FTTN, FTTC, HFC, FTTP or FTTW technology.

When you said phone line, do you mean a copper cable for previous ADSL service?

You may also check for a Mesh WiFi network that may help extend your service to your shed. It is easire to setup in some ways.

BasilDV

bruce351
Level 2

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

The service is ADSL, the line from the street to the unit has not been updated since the NBN has been connected in our area. The wire from the unit to the street could be the same that was installed when the property was built in the 70s.

I built the shed about 4 years ago and the electrician ran a copper wire that would be able to be used for ADSL or a landline at a later date. The wire is an underground 4 pair copper wire

Thanks for your help.

BasilDV

Hi @bruce351

We've edited your post as it contains your account number.

Please avoid posting any account or personal details on a public thread as it may compromise your security.

We've checked the account and learned that you are under the NBN FTTN service (using the infrastructure of the legacy ADSL).

The ADSL landline will not work in the said line anymore as you are now using an NBN service.

If you are going to use a second modem/router to the said line, then there's a possibility that it will work, however, you may experience issues as 2 devices are trying to connect to a single account.

Also, the VoIP service will only work with the original modem/router as the SIP settings are embedded in the firmware.

You may consider getting an extender or access point instead. If you want a phone service, you may consider getting a wireless handset, which the base is connected to the main modem/router.

BasilDV

bruce351
Level 2

Hi Basil

Is it not possible to get two routers that are synced with each other to use on one line?

If I was to add a booster wouldn't I have to put it in the mid point between the unit and the shed?
If that is the case then I would have to put it in the open and run a power source?

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @bruce351

Is it not possible to get two routers that are synced with each other to use on one line? - It may work, but you may encounter some issues like connection drop outs, low speed, etc. (Not recommended)

The service is '1:1', means 1 account = 1 main modem/router to work with the service.

If I was to add a booster wouldn't I have to put it in the mid point between the unit and the shed? 

If that is the case then I would have to put it in the open and run a power source?

You are right. Or you may install an Ethernet line from your unit to the shed.(Change the copper line to Ethernet line)

- It is more reliable as the WiFi signal will be more solid compared to a booster that will be in the middle.

BasilDV

bruce351
Level 2

Thanks for your help, I have managed to YouTube a few different fixes for my problem.

It will be an easy fix, thanks.

BasilDV

Glad to be of assistance @bruce351

You may also share here your network setup as it may help future readers that may want the same idea.

Stay safe.

BasilDV