TPG Community

Get online support

Advice needed on the speed of my nbn connection

drawood
Level 3

Dear Sir,

A couple of weeks ago, after 15 years with tpg and no complaints at all, I changed over to nbn speed of 50. All was great and the speed stayed at around 44-45 even in peak periods. Last weekend I upgraded to the 100 speed and during the day i am very happy that i am getting a speed of around 89-90.

However, by 9.00 p.m. at night my download speed drops to 6, 7,8 or 9 Mbps. Uplaod still fine at 37 but ping goes up from 9 to as high as 31.

As I had no problems with the 50 speed, I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with my computer, a new Core i7 speed desktop with ethernet wiring to the router.

Can you please give me some idea if you think the problem is at my end or tpg end and also whether it may be better for me to go back to the 50 speed where I had no problem.

I would be so grateful for your time and ideas. I am not knowledgeable about computers and would appreciate your advice.

Thank you,

Anthony

1 REPLY 1
BasilDV

Hi @drawood

For customers experiencing any issues with their NBN service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage on the NBN network.

We have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage. This will allow you to access more detailed information regarding the cause of the outage.

If there are no known outages in your area, we recommend having a read of our online guide on troubleshooting internet issues for TPG NBN service. Here's the link: https://www.tpg.com.au/support/nbn-hfc-cable/problems_connect_internet_nbn_hfc

Also, an article that will guide you on how to troubleshoot a slow speed issue is available here: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Slow-speed-issue/ba-p/1197

In your case, our Engineering team is investigating the speed issue during peak-hours and they require you to perform the additional tests that they've sent via Email, which will help them in understanding the nature of the problem.

Your assigned Engineer will be in touch with you once an update becomes available.

BasilDV