TPG Community

Get online support

Connection location on Speedtest

zaggerandevans
Level 2

Hi there,

I have been having regular dropouts of the NBN this evening. When the connection has been stable, I have done a few speedtests. While the speed seems reasonable, my location and IP address on Speedtest.net is showing that I am an iinet customer on the Swan River, Perth, just offshore from the Perth Concert Hall (using the latitude and longitude data from Speedtest.net).  Actually I'm a TPG customer in Melbourne (on dry land). TPG's own speedtest also shows me as the same iinet customer (same IP address, but no location information).

Is this expected behaviour?

5 REPLIES 5
Ahra_G

Hi @zaggerandevans

Welcome to the Community! 

Speedtest servers may perform differently. Generally, you will get faster speeds from servers closer to you. We recommend testing to a variety of test servers to get the most complete picture of your speed. Speedtest has the world’s largest testing server network, which means you will always have the benefit of testing to a server near your geographic location.

Furthermore, I've managed to run remote test and it showed that your internet is connected for almost a day now. 

There are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area.

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

• Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Slow-speed-issue/ba-p/1197

• Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

• Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...    

Let us know should you require further assistance. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

zaggerandevans
Level 2

Hello Ahra_G,

The dropouts were almost certainly network dropouts, according to the NCD (lost link to the network), but the network has now been stable for 24 hours.

Both Speedtest.net and TPG's own speedtest reported me as an iinet customer based in Perth. The servers being pinged were 1) in Perth on Speedtest.net and 2) Sydney on TPG's Speedtest.

Can you please explain how I showed as an iinet customer, when I am with TPG in Melbourne? I understand the difference between the test server and the customer base station. I am not talking about the location of the test server. I am curious to know if this is a fault.

Kind regards,

Shaun

Shane

Hi @zaggerandevans,

This is due to the IP Range of TPG and iiNET are owned by TPG but this should not affect the performance/speed of the service. 

The speed issue may be caused of the following.

• type/source of content being downloaded
  • hardware and software configuration
  • the number of users simultaneously using.
  • the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG.

Note: Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable. 

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards, 

zaggerandevans
Level 2

Hello,

As the screenshot shows, I am experiencing dropouts. I need a stable connection to facilitate Zoom study requirements.

I look forward to having this matter resolved.

Kind regards,

Shaun

BasilDV

Hi @zaggerandevans

We'll raise this with our Tech team and have someone to call you today for further checking of your service.

BasilDV