TPG Community

Get online support

Dynamic IP address changing daily, sometimes several times with drop-outs.

rich26
Level 2

I've been connected with TPG for about 5 weeks and having lots of problems I can't seem to get resolved through tech support. My IP address seems to change several times a day, and internet availability seems to drop out for 5-10 minutes each time it does this. This is annoying when trying to work from home. That's the first issue. I've raised tickets, someone from tech support checks it and it's working momentarily, so they close the ticket. I need a consistent / available connection.

Secondly, I have assigned a static IP address to my solar inverter's datamanager card and setup port forwarding to the static IP address on external port, so that I can monitor it remotely. However due to the external IP address constantly changing at least daily (sometimes 2-3 times), this will not work for more than a few hours. It's very annoying. I was with a different provider up until March and it worked consistently. Is there a way to stop this IP from changing?

4 REPLIES 4
Ahra_G

Hi @rich26,

All of our NBN Residential service(s) have Dynamic IP address. 

Furthermore, there are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area. 

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection, we recommend having a read on the following articles:

Troubleshooting a Slow Internet Connection

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it

Let us have your Customer ID or username via private message in order for us to assist you. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

david64
Level 15

Hi @rich26 . Wifi dropouts don't cause the ip address to change. There's some network fault for TPG to fix.

The way to overcome dynamic address changes is to use Dynamic DNS. You set up an account with a DDNS provider, think of a name for your network, set up DDNS on the router. On intial setup or whenever the router gets a new address, it sends a message to the provider to update the address of your network name. It copes with blackouts at home or network interruptions. Your router probably supports noip and DynDNS providers.

rich26
Level 2

Yes agree and thanks for your reply, they are not Wi-fi drop-outs as the Wi-fi remains connected but states "No Internet". I'll send a PM and attack it again today.

rich26
Level 2

PM sent with user name just now.