TPG Community

Get online support

EXO AX AX5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router compatible

SOLVED Go to solution
Pete58
Level 3

Hi and thanks for any advice. Very new to this. 

Im with Telstra NBN at the moment and using Telstra smart moden with the nbn black box

Looking at getting a router  D- Link EXO AX AX5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 for TPG NBN

We have HFC NBN connection with telstra at the moment

Will the above router be ok?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @Pete58 . A few users have had problems getting their D-Link DIR X5460 to work (which is the EXO one you're thinking about). Search in Community for     x5460      .

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @Pete58

Welcome to the Community!

If you are going to get the NBN Data only plan, then the said device should work with the NBN HFC technology.

However, if you are going to get the bundled VoIP and internet service, then you need to get a VDSL modem/router since you need to set the VLAN ID.

By the way, the VoIP service will not work with a third party modem/router.

BasilDV

Pete58
Level 3
Thanks Basil.
I didn’t think about the VoIP.
Ended up buying it before they sold out. We both have mobile phones so that will have to do.

Cheers Peter
david64
Level 15

Hi @Pete58 . A few users have had problems getting their D-Link DIR X5460 to work (which is the EXO one you're thinking about). Search in Community for     x5460      .

Pete58
Level 3
All is very good with the D-Link AX5400
Phoned TPG and the had me up and running in 5 minutes
ABee
Level 2

Hey there, just reading these threads.. 

I bought the AX5400 Mesh Wi-Fi 6 router, i have the internet up and running..  but no phone line (land line)

What do I need to do to get the phone line back ?

or have I bought the wrong router ?

help !

thanks

david64
Level 15

Hi @ABee . The X5460 has no RJ11 port for the phone. The bundled VOIP service only works with the TPG-supplied router as the main router. The X5460 could only be used as an access point. With the X5460, your phone number is still assigned to you but can't be used.

ABee
Level 2

Thankyou.  

So I need to keep the TPG as the main router.

But this is slower than my service.

Question, is their anyway to connect the X5460 to the TPG router and then connect the TPG router to the phone?

david64
Level 15

@ABee . 

If you have FTTP connection, the phone connects to the NBN box and is independent of the router.

To use the X5460 as access point:

Do factory reset on X5460. Login to its admin and change its LAN ip address to say 192.168.1.2 and save it. The browser disconnects so login using the new address. Disable DHCP and save. Connect the X5460 to the TPG router using LAN to LAN. Use Cat6 cables (NBN box to TPG router, and TPG router to X5460). If the X5460 wifi gives full coverage, disable wifi on TPG router.