Eero 6+, HFC with VoIP

SOLVED Go to solution
sangtram
Level 2

Hi, I am having problem setting up my new eero 6+ modem, I did the following steps but no results, please help.

1. I pluged the Eero 6+ into the VR1600v to update the Eero software to v7.1.1-16 (support PPPoE)

2. Set up a brige on the VR1600v by using provided resource, I also deleted the old EWAN (with VLAN ID 2) to make this work

a. Select on "Network"

b. Click on "DSL"

c. Then click on "+Add" to create a new connection

d. Make sure to select on "VDSL"

e. Look for "Bridge" on the "Internet Connection Type"

f. "Enable" the VLAN ID

g. VLAN ID should be "2"

h. Lastly, "Save" the changes

3. I used the eero app to change the WAN type from DHCP to PPPoE , I only put in the PPPoe user name (xxxxxx@tpg(dot)com(dot)au, no password), then clicked Save settings

4. Turned the Uplink VLAN on, input "2", then clicked Apply settings

5. I then power off the VR1600v, connect the eero 6+ directly to the NBN black box but no internet connection

Did I do anything wrong? Any input will be great

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sangtram
Level 2
Contacted eero customer service and got it fixed with the simplest solution.
Unplug the ethernet cable from nbn box, unplug power cable.
Plug the ethernet cable back in and power cable
Voila.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @sangtram . Did you get the Eero software updated for PPPoE?

If you are using the VOIP phone, the VR1600 has to connect to the HFC box and runs in standard router mode. The Eero can only be an Access Point.

In the PPPoE settings, you need password, your own password or noPassword).

In step 4, you mention "Uplink VLAN". I'm not familiar with the term "Uplink". If VLAN ID was enabled in the VR1600 config (ewan_pppoe), you need it in Eero.

The steps in 2 relate to setting up a bridge connection for the DSL connection (FTTB/FTTN).

sangtram
Level 2
Hi @david64,
My eero updated to latest software to support PPPoE.

My TPG contract came with a voIP but I never use the voIP so i dont mind if I cant connect a phone.

Uplink VLAN is what available in the eero app. I uploaded a photo, please check.

Now I see that the bridge instruction is not for HFC. As HFC user, do i need to do anything?
david64
Level 15

@sangtram . From reading about it, seems "Uplink VLAN" is correct.

Did you set a password on the PPPoE details?

Does the Eero have a system Log? If not connecting, there might be an indication there.

sangtram
Level 2
I didn't set any password so I'm using the "noPassword"
Apparently only eero support team has access to the log file.
david64
Level 15

@sangtram . Send a private message to a mderator. You want to find out if Eero is trying to authenticate with their server.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093#M45

sangtram
Level 2
Sure will. Thanks @david64!
Ahra_G

Hi @sangtram, your PPPoE password is usually the same as your MyAccount password. If you don't remember it, I suggest doing a password reset here https://account.tpg.com.au/reset-password

Send us a PM should you require further assistance. 

sangtram
Level 2
Contacted eero customer service and got it fixed with the simplest solution.
Unplug the ethernet cable from nbn box, unplug power cable.
Plug the ethernet cable back in and power cable
Voila.

Ahra_G

Glad to know that's sorted out, @sangtram! Sing out if there's anything we can assist you with.