Dublinse
Level 2
Yes, thanks I got it to work Smiley Happy
BasilDV

Great! Have a good day @Dublinse.

BasilDV

alanburchill1
Level 2

Got it working, this thread is long so i thought i would go over what i had to do...

1. I tried to setup device directly with modem usinng PPOE. Note this options is under IP config. It did seem to find the internet and then asked me for location and then to provide new WIFI details. But this did not work and seemed to get stuck at the setting up wifi section. Left it for 8 hours and sitll nothing... 

2. Connected back old router and plugged in directly. Power cycled the eero and held the button on bottom. Pretty sure this reset the device... 

3. Set it up as normal WIFI device and it immediatly asked for update. Let device update and then went into network config, ISP setting and entered my username and password under the PPOE section. Note: did not configure VLAN.

4. Turned off original router and plugged in eero to mode. Device took about 3 minutes to setup and i finally had it work.

Long story short, looks like you still need to update the device before it works even thought the eero 6+ supports PPOE out of the box. 

Shane

Hi @@alanburchill1,

We appreciate the additional tips for settings up the Eero 6+ this is a big additional help for our growing community! 

Got it working, this thread is long so i thought i would go over what i had to do...

1. I tried to setup device directly with modem usinng PPOE. Note this options is under IP config. It did seem to find the internet and then asked me for location and then to provide new WIFI details. But this did not work and seemed to get stuck at the setting up wifi section. Left it for 8 hours and sitll nothing... 

2. Connected back old router and plugged in directly. Power cycled the eero and held the button on bottom. Pretty sure this reset the device... 

3. Set it up as normal WIFI device and it immediatly asked for update. Let device update and then went into network config, ISP setting and entered my username and password under the PPOE section. Note: did not configure VLAN.

4. Turned off original router and plugged in eero to mode. Device took about 3 minutes to setup and i finally had it work.

Long story short, looks like you still need to update the device before it works even thought the eero 6+ supports PPOE out of the box. 

sylv
Level 2

Hi there, 

I followed all the steps above but it's not working for me. 

I've got the eero (Pro 6) working as a normal router plugged into the tpg modem (Archer VR1600v), and I've updated the eero to the latest version. But when I try to change settings to PPPOE, wait 30min, and connect it directly to the nbn box (HFC), it does not connect to the internet. 

One thing I find confusing is what PPPOE username to use. I've tried my tpg username and password (with @tpg.com.au), but when I login to the current tpg modem it says my PPPOE details are those very generic looking ones: tpg_acs@tpg_acs and tpg_acs as the password. So which one is correct?

Anyone able to help? @Shane or @BasilDV ?

BasilDV

Hi @sylv

One thing I find confusing is what PPPOE username to use. I've tried my tpg username and password (with @tpg.com.au), but when I login to the current tpg modem it says my PPPOE details are those very generic looking ones: tpg_acs@tpg_acs and tpg_acs as the password. So which one is correct?

The first one is correct. TPG account username and password should be used to configure the PPPoE.

Are you under the NBN bundled with VoIP service or Data only plan?

If bundled with VoIP, then you need to enable the VLAN ID tagging and set it to 2.

If not, then we need to check this further.

Shoot me a PM with your account details.

BasilDV

sylv
Level 2

Thanks! 🙏
PM sent 

Update for others in case it's useful: my mistake was that I didn't realise that my plan was bundled with VoIP service, so I hadn't set the VLAN ID to 2. Once that done, it worked fine having followed the steps above. 

amc2612
Level 2
Hi everyone,

I purchased an eero 6+ last week and have spent the past five days meticulously (and repeatedly) going through all of the steps and suggestions that everyone has so helpfully posted here – but I just can’t get it to work!

To recap, I’m on NBN FTTN with VoIP (not needed) and have so far tried the following steps:

1. Initially set up eero 6+ by plugging it into one of the LAN ports on my TPG-supplied Archer VR1600v modem and connecting to the internet via DHCP.
2. Updated all units to the latest firmware (v6.13.2-26)
3. Using the app, went into Network Settings —> ISP Settings and configured WAN Type to PPPoE, using my TPG username/email and password and setting Uplink VLAN to 2. (I’ve also tried it without setting Uplink VLAN but got the same result).
4. Saved settings, and left it alone for an hour.
5. Then turned off the VR1600v, unplugged the eero’s Ethernet cable from it and plugged it directly into the NBN node.
6. After flashing white for a couple of minutes, the eero’s light would turn solid red and I’m no longer able to access the internet.
7. Restarting the eero or the entire eero network doesn’t fix anything. The only way to get back online is to revert to DHCP under ISP settings and plugging it back into the VR1600v.

I’ve even hard reset the whole network after updating the software and tried to connect to PPPoE during initial setup (as advised by eero tech support) but it never came up as an option so I started all over again with DHCP.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it possible the eero 6+ simply isn’t compatible with my TPG FTTN? I did come across this page below which suggested it may not be supported but I’m hoping that’s not the case…

https://support.tpg.com.au/nbn-byo-modem-hardware-compatibility

Grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance!
BasilDV

Hi @amc2612

The missing piece for the setup that you want is you need to bridge the VR1600 modem/router.

Check my comment here: How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v for the instructions.

Once you've bridged the VR1600, then you can set the PPPoE connection and make sure that the VLAN is disabled on your Eero device.

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@Shane . You continue to use the "bridge" link which neglects to say to delete the existing link with VLAN ID 2 before adding the bridge link with VLAN ID 2.

@amc2612