TPG Community

Get online support

Get NBN connection for granny flat

Nguyen1
Level 3

Hi,

I just moved into the granny flat and want to get wifi connection there. The primary house already had an NBN connection. Can you suggest some solutions for me?

11 REPLIES 11
david64
Level 15

Hi @Nguyen1 . What type of NBN connection is in the house?

What is the distance between house and flat?

If the resident in the house is happy for you to use their NBN connection, you can try these:

wifi extender-central unit extends house wifi to a remote unit in flat;

a CAT6 ethernet cable in conduit underground or on catenary cable overhead from house router to a router (even old ADSL router) in flat to act as access point.

If a separate connection is needed, there is a TPG 4G or 5G wireless (SIM card) connection or NBN fixed wireless depending on your address.. FTTP allows more than one connection at the same address. It still needs an ethernet cable from the NBN box out to the flat.

Nguyen1
Level 3

Hi, 

Thanks for your suggestions.

I am not sure what type of connection is in the house because I am just a tenant and the landlord doesnot know any things about tech and stuff.

The distance is quite far between the 2 premises. 

I forgot to mention that I don't want to share wifi with people in the main house. I also check the 4G and 5G options on your website which are not as strong as normal NBN plan. Can you suggest some other ways? Thanks

Nguyen1
Level 3

Hi,

I have searched around and one of the results says that organizing an additional service from a broadband retailer is possible. I don't know whether TPG can set up an additional NBN service in the granny flat.

Thanks

Shane

Hi @Nguyen1,

We'd love to help check this with our Sales Team if it is possible to get a separate connection install to the granny flat.

Could you shoot us a PM with your contact details?

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi,

I have searched around and one of the results says that organizing an additional service from a broadband retailer is possible. I don't know whether TPG can set up an additional NBN service in the granny flat.

Thanks

Nguyen1
Level 3

Hi, 

i cannot click on the link you provided. Can you resend it?

Thanks

david64
Level 15

@Shane . I am interested to know the answer from the Sales Team. 

If they were able to provide a connection to the granny flat, how was it done.

If not, why not.

Shane

Hi @david64,

NBN connection is not available to service the granny flat. Hence, other options is to get a Wireless Home Broadband.

Regards,

@Shane . I am interested to know the answer from the Sales Team. 

If they were able to provide a connection to the granny flat, how was it done.

If not, why not.

and1628opm
Level 3
Granny flats, seem requiring a separate address before you can apply for a new nbn connection.

Otherwise, other options like wireless network to satellite etc.

You might want to check more on this at:
https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/getting-connected/preparing-for-the-nbn#outbuildings