HFC Self-install

tinsmith
Level 2

I am in the process of transitioning from ASDL to NBN (HFC) connection. A couple of weeks ago a NBN technician installed the cable in my unit and verified that the line is ready to connect.

He confirmed that all I need is the HFC modem (the black Arris box) to plug in and the NBN connection will activate.

TPG cannot tell me when the modem will be available.

Can I buy the Arris HFC modem on say, eBay, and just connect it myself? The installation is pretty straighforward.

3 REPLIES 3
Ahra_G

Hi @tinsmith

For security reasons, the use of the ARRIS modem should be the one supplied by NBN CO as it is configured and encrypted to work only through NBN system. 

Furthermore, there has been a global equipment shortage impacting NBN Co’s supply of NBN connection boxes needed to install  'Hybrid Fibre-Coaxial' (also known as HFC) NBN services thus, acquiring the ARRIS box elsewhere will also be impossible. More info can be found here: Delays in connecting some premises to the nbn™ HFC network

I'll have the assigned Case Manager to contact you today, 23 FEB 2021, to provide update with the current status of the installation. 

We apologise for the inconvenience. 

Regards,

Ahra_G

tinsmith
Level 2

Hi @Ahra_G,

I understand that TPG would be liable for any problems I may incur while using unauthorised equipment. However, these modems I can see on eBay seems to be originating from NBN itself. I'm not sure how people obtain them, but they are new unopened Arris modems exactly the same as NBN supplies them.

It might be that someone is running a side business in the NBN or one of the major ISP's. But in the end of the day I don't mind. All I need is a stable internet. Lately ADSL connection became very unstable.

Ahra_G

We undestand, @tinsmith

We still do not recommend to take advantage of the ARRIS modems offered online except the one provided by NBN Co.

I've managed to run remote tests and your ADSL connection appears to be stable for almost 2 days now. 

Should you encounter any further issues, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. 

To help manage your TPG services on the go, you may download our TPG Mobile App on this link: tpg.com.au/services/tpg-app

Regards,

Ahra_G