TPG Community

Get online support

How to activate other data ports in NBN connection box?

teeekeee80
Level 2

Hello community,

Currently, I am using UNI-D1 port in NBN connection box that connects with my modem/router, and the rest of other data ports are not used. 

I tried to used UNI-D2 port to directly connect to my pc using Ethernet cable but it didn't work, and then, I realised that orange light is on only for UNI-D1 port in the connection box. 

My question is, am I supposed to activate UNI-D2 port in some ways so that I can use the port for connecting directly with my PC? Could anyone tell me how to do that?

What I want as a result is, keep the connection between D1 port and router, and start using D2 port for my PC via direct connect using Ethernet cable.

Thanks in advance for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
BasilDV

Hi @teeekeee80 

The other ports on the NBN NTD box is considered as a new connection or new account.

If you want to activate any one of them, then you need to apply for a new service for it. 

If you don't want to apply for a new service, then you can just use the designated port for your account which is the UNI-D1 and use an access point or switches to widen your Local LAN network.

BasilDV

teeekeee80
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,

Thanks for your reply. 

For the first option, if it is considered as a new connection, does that mean I am supposed to pay another TPG service, paying every month? or just needs a cost to activate the connection?

For the second option, could you please explain me more dettails? I am not familiar with these process, "use an access point or switches to widen your Local LAN network".

Ahra_G

Hi @teeekeee80

Activating the UNID-2 would mean a separate service that you also need to pay monthly. In most cases, this is applicable to apartments or multi-dwelling units but not necessarily needed in stand-alone houses. 

You can use the LAN ports on your router if you prefer a wired connection for your PC/laptop. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

teeekeee80
Level 2

Hi Ahra_G, thanks for your suggestion.

I know that we can use LAN port in my router for wired connection with my PC.

Unfortunately, router is placed quite far from the room where I would like to use my PC.

I found a data port on the wall of the room, which is why I was thinking how to use it to directly connect with PC. Maybe I should use very ling Ethernet cable? Is there any better option?

Ahra_G

If you have enough LAN cable to test the port, then try first if it's working or activated, @teeekeee80

Otherwise, a private tech may be required to check or activate the data port for you. 

teeekeee80
Level 2

I have tested the data port on the wall, and it was not activated certainly because only UNI-D1 is activated in the connection box. it seems like I need to use very long Ethernet cable?

Ahra_G

The main connection comes from the NBN NTD however, everything else should be connected to the router first, @teeekeee80. The router already serves as your local area network (LAN).

And yes, a long ethernet cable does not sound very handy but it's the only way to test if the data port in your house is active or not. 

If your assigned port is the UNID-1, then it is the only port you can use. 

david64
Level 15

@teeekeee80 . You mention "a data port on the wall of the room". Do other rooms have a data port? 

Is there one near where the FTTP NBN box is located? You connect the NBN box to the data port.

Connect the router at the other end.

Your house may have a patch panel somewhere where all the cables run to. The router can be connected here, or, patched through to some other room with a data port.