TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Modem without phone socket

brllwu13
Level 2

Hi,

I have recently installed my nbn FTTC modem, but since the installation requires the modem to be connected to the phone socket, it is located in quite an obscure corner of the house. Is it possible now that I have installed and activated it, to move the modem into a different area that does not have a phone wall socket?

Thanks,

Xu

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi Xu. You can use a longer ethernet cable between nbn box (at wall socket) and the wifi router.

Do you have only one wall socket? 

brllwu13
Level 2

Hi David,

We do only have one phone socket in the household. The house is two-storey, and since the only phone socket is downstairs while most devices are upstairs, I had wanted to know if it was possible to relocate the modem to an upstairs power sucket instead. 

david64
Level 15

You could get the phone line extended to some convenient spot upstairs. In that case, only the upstairs socket can be used. The socket downstairs can't be used.

Or, run ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs. The nbn box stays downstairs, the wifi router is upstairs with your devices and telephone.

Telephone cable is a bit cheaper than ethernet cable and extra length shouldn't affect speed.

BasilDV

Hi @brllwu13 

Welcome to the Community!

You may consider the advise of @david64 to use a longer cable (Ethernet or Phone cable). You may also contact NBN Co (1800 687 626) directly to discuss if they can relocate the wall socket for the NBN NCD box. The discussion will be between customers and NBN Co only as there might be fees involve in making this happen.

If you need any assistance in regards to your NBN service (connection issues), please let us know.

BasilDV