TPG Community

Get online support

NBN junction pit water damage

SOLVED Go to solution
wwthayy
Level 2

The NBN installed the HFC to my complex 3 years ago and things started to fall apart recently. 

The junction pit they use is the old Telstra pit, and it tends to collect water very fast and drain slowly. For the past few years, there was not much rain and everything seemed fine. But during the recent big rainfall, all of the residents in the complex are experiencing disconnects and slow speed. 

Then at the end of Feb, the net finally got disconnected and most of the residents got no internet for more than a week. 

The NBN technician showed up in early March and replaced one of the junction boxes and it was badly corroded. 

Now, the disconnects started again. We have 4 junction pits in the complex and we might need to replace all of them which could be fine for now, but it is only a matter of time the junction box will be corroded if they use the same box and put it at the same place. 

This is so painful and stressful. I wanted to change to 5G but my area doesn't have coverage. 

I think the only option would be Starlink if I want stable and reliable internet. Does anyone here have a similar experience or have any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Let us have a look and sorted this thing out. Any chance you can send us or post 2 pictures of Junction PIt with and without water? Or atleast the location itself. Also send us your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) so we can check the progress of the recent escalated fault (if there is any). 

The NBN installed the HFC to my complex 3 years ago and things started to fall apart recently. 

The junction pit they use is the old Telstra pit, and it tends to collect water very fast and drain slowly. For the past few years, there was not much rain and everything seemed fine. But during the recent big rainfall, all of the residents in the complex are experiencing disconnects and slow speed. 

Then at the end of Feb, the net finally got disconnected and most of the residents got no internet for more than a week. 

The NBN technician showed up in early March and replaced one of the junction boxes and it was badly corroded. 

Now, the disconnects started again. We have 4 junction pits in the complex and we might need to replace all of them which could be fine for now, but it is only a matter of time the junction box will be corroded if they use the same box and put it at the same place. 

This is so painful and stressful. I wanted to change to 5G but my area doesn't have coverage. 

I think the only option would be Starlink if I want stable and reliable internet. Does anyone here have a similar experience or have any suggestions?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Let us have a look and sorted this thing out. Any chance you can send us or post 2 pictures of Junction PIt with and without water? Or atleast the location itself. Also send us your details (Username/Customer ID together with the address on file) so we can check the progress of the recent escalated fault (if there is any). 

BasilDV

Hi @wwthayy

We'd like to check if this has been raised to our Engineers if it's an ongoing connection issues.

Shoot us a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number for us to assist.

BasilDV

ClarkJansen
Level 2

Had a similar situation in my area last year. The rain triggered chaos, disconnects, and super slow speeds. NBN techs replaced a corroded junction box, but these problems still persisted for a while.
Have you considered checking for mold in those pits? Water damage and corrosion can sometimes lead to that nasty stuff. We had to call in this mold removal and inspection company to sort it out - https://www.alldryus.com/texas/cypress-water-damage-restoration/. Not fun, but it helped. Starlink does seem like a solid option, but yeah, the coverage can be tricky. Hang in there, mate!

alanguide
Level 7

A good reason to upgrade to FTTP, as fibre is not affected by water.

wwthayy
Level 2

It is very unlikely the NBN will do it, I have reached out to them since the disconnect happened, but haven't heard from them at all. 

Optus seem to have 5G internet cover in my area now, and I might just use them if I ever experience any disconnects from NBN again.