New NBN - No Internet

SOLVED Go to solution
luunancy
Level 2

Hi,
We just received our modem for our NBN FTTP service today and connected the modem to the port and power supply but there is no internet connection. The lights on the modem are on for: Power, 2.4G and 5G but there is no light showing for the Internet. I have also waited more than 30 minutes for it to connect but still no luck. 

I've checked my installation status on https://www.tpg.com.au/support/trackmyorder and it says 'your installation is still in progress however I have received a text and email to confirm my NBN service is installed and complete. 

Not sure what else to do to get internet connection!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
luunancy
Level 2
It has been solved! Our developer had the electricians come by and I believe there were issues with the cabling within the townhouse. All is good now. Thanks for all your help David.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @luunancy . What lights are lit on the FTTP NBN box?

Which UNI-D port are you connecting to?

luunancy
Level 2

Hi David, I actually haven't been able to check as I live in a townhouse and the NBN box is in the telecommunications hub in the garage (door to it is locked at the moment). I assumed it would have been set up correctly and I'd only have to connect my modem cable to the ethernet ports in my house. I have tried 3 of the ethernet ports in my house and all currently don't return an internet connection. 

david64
Level 15

@luunancy . Is your router a TP-Link Archer C1200?

Have you found a patch panel in your house? The ethernet cables lead back to one point. There may be a connection marked as going to NBN box.

Are you a town house in a strata plan, or a separate (Torrens) title? If the latter, I would have thought the NBN box would be in your own property.

luunancy
Level 2

Hi David, yes that is our router. We are on a strata plan but I finally got access to the NBN box in the townhouse maintenance room. I connected a cable from the UNI-D Port 1 to another port that leads to our house. We have 4 ports (none marked) in our house so we're just trying to figure out which works now by trying them all and waiting for the 'Internet' light to come on. Also, do you know if the light on the UNI-D port should be turning on automatically?

david64
Level 15

@luunancy . The cable from comms room should go to a patch panel in your unit; it might be tucked away in a cupboard. You can take the router to comms room and connect to NBN box directly. See if router connects.

Lights on NBN box:

Power: green.

Optical: green means it's connected to the fibre network (red is not connected).

Alarm: off means box is working but nothing connected. Red means some problem. Green means working with devices connected.

UNI-D: off means nothing connected. Orange means gigabit device connected. Green means 100M device connected.

TPG should have told you which UNI-D port to use; usually port 1.

luunancy
Level 2
I'm not sure what else I can do at this point! I think I've got everything connected as they should be. I'm going to give tpg a call tomorrow and see if they can assist. Thanks for your help though!
david64
Level 15

@luunancy . So, there is an NBN box for each unit?

The Optical light is on so the NBN side should be ok.

The UNI-D1 light is off so there is nothing on the other end of the cable.

That's why I said to take the router to the comms room and connect directly to the NBN box. Remove uncertainty in cabling. See if it connects. Take your phone or tablet and see if you can get to internet.

Is your unit brand new, or just newly moved in? The agent might have details about cabling.

The picture has 3 ethernet ports and 1 coax port. How many other ethernet ports are there in your unit?

BasilDV

Hi @luunancy

We were able to locate your account using your community details and can confirm that the service is already installed.

We've tested the line and was able to detect that the router is already online.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

BasilDV

luunancy
Level 2
It has been solved! Our developer had the electricians come by and I believe there were issues with the cabling within the townhouse. All is good now. Thanks for all your help David.