TPG Community

Get online support

Packet loss and internet drop out

mathewo87
Level 2

Hello, i had FTTP installed recently and since then i have noticed that occasionally, but often enough that it has become quite annoying, my internet will completely drop out. All the lights on the modem and NBN box stay on as far as i can tell. but i get no ping response and tracert requests time out. I have to either wait for it to suddenly work again, or restart my modem device. it is happening enough that i am now asking for assistance on this issue. 

i have undertaken many of the troubleshooting options that i have found on this website and it doesnt appear to have alleviated the problem. any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

12 REPLIES 12
david64
Level 15

Hi @mathewo87 . Does the dropout occur on ethernet computer and wifi devices?

Are the ping and tracert commands being done from your computer or is your router able to do this?

If from a computer, the tracert should show the router's LAN ip address on first line, eg. 192.168.1.1.

Can you provide the display of those 2 commands during normal operation for comparison?

What is the model number of your router?

mathewo87
Level 2

Hello,

Yes both ethernet and wifi. My desktop PC is ethernet direct to the router, and my phone/laptop are wifi. i lose internet connection on these devices when this occurs. I am still connected to the network. 

I did ping and tracert via my desktop PC, but yes my router can do this, i have attached screenshots showing it working in normal operation via my router and via commandprompt. 

Router is vx220-g2v.

the internet works great when it works, but these odd dropouts are getting to be frustrating. 

david64
Level 15

@mathewo87 . When dropout occurs, any change to lights on either box?

Does the vx220 have a System Log? If so, save it on your computer as text file, then copy and paste the last part of it up to the dropout in your reply.

This should be enough info for TPG to get it fixed.

kate_

Hey Mathew,

Let's get to the bottom of what's happening with those dropouts, and put a stop to them.

So we can run some further tests on your connection, we'll get you to send a PM here. You can check out how to do that through the link below.

How do I private message (PM) in the community.

mathewo87
Level 2

Ok excellent will do, thanks for all the help. Ill wait for the next dropout and then save the system log and take some time inspecting all the lights on all devices. I havent noticed any changes to lights but i will look more carefully. 

Currently my system log is full of "SIP stack exited abnormally", unsure if this is related to or causing the issue. 

Ahra_G

Thanks for that. May we know if you have performed any troubleshooting? 

mathewo87
Level 2

@Ahra_G wrote:

Thanks for that. May we know if you have performed any troubleshooting? 

Hello, i responded to your PM.

I have performed a variety of troubleshooting such as power cycling, unplugging and replugging everything, checking router settings, using windows troubleshooting. Unfortunately none of this assisting during the packet loss and dropout period. I simply have to wait it out. 

thanks, 

mathewo87
Level 2

posting again because it just happened again and i am not getting any answers via PM. i have saved the router log but its not letting me upload it.

david64
Level 15

@mathewo87 . If the system log is saved on your computer, open it in Notepad or Wordpad, whichever is formatted properly, Select all, Copy, paste into your reply.