TPG Community

Get online support

Porting phone number AWAY from TPG

SOLVED Go to solution
Riezl

Hi @chillyphilly01, we can see that our Escalations Team has been in touch and discussed the concerns raised.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.

chillyphilly01
Level 2

Yep they sure have. I have submitted the port request and will contact again once the port has gone through.

Shane

Lovely! Let us know how it will go. 😊

chillyphilly01
Level 2

Hi everyone,

My port has been accepted and I got the following response from the new VoIP provider:

"Your porting has been accepted, and the cutover of your number will take place on 28.08.2018 09:00 AM (AEDST / Sydney time). This time is an estimate, but in most cases won't be more than a few minutes out. In order to minimise downtime, we have already pre-assign the number to your account. For a standard port, and with your number pre-routed, your downtime will generally be less than 10 minutes, but may be up to an hour. Should you have any queries, please don't hesitate to reply to this email."

However I am now slightly confused. For starters if I call the number from my mobile it doesn't work which would make sense as it isnt properly transfered yet but if I call my mobile from the home phone it works and my mobile displays the home phone number. So my question is, when do I need to get a new number from TPG to prevent the internet being cancelled (should I do that now or after the number is completely ported over).

Thanks

BasilDV

Hi @chillyphilly01,

You need to wait until the porting of your number is finished. Once done, you need to contact our Accounts team immediately to get a new number and to prevent the cancellation of the account.

While porting your number, the outgoing calls will still work, but the incoming will not work.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

chillyphilly01
Level 2

Ok thank you for letting me know. I wanted to check so that I didn't mess anything up. Once the port has gone through and everything is sorted I will be in contact again.

Thanks

BasilDV

Glad to be of assistance, @chillyphilly01.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

chillyphilly01
Level 2

Hi everyone. The home phone number was succesfully ported over yesterday at about 12:30pm. As soon as this happened I got in contact with the support team (they had given me a number direct to them) however I couldn't speak with JB who was the person I had been in contact with from the start as he was sick. So I explained what has been happening to another team member and because JB's notes were so comprehensive they understood everything after a couple of minutes. They informed me that they did not want to do anything today as they didn't want to interfere with what JB had started so we left it. They also assured me that they would inform the cancellation team not to terminate the account (which would normally happen when you port out your number) and so far this has not occured which is great. Just now I called again and spoke to JB who has initiated the process of obtaining a new 'dummy' phone number to attach to the account (we wont be using this number but it is required for proper operation of the account). Obtaining this number costs $20 which I was happy to pay due to the unusual circumstances of what I was wanting to happen. Overall I have been extremely pleased with the service I have received, JB along with the staff on this forum have done an excellent job taking care of me. Thank you very much for taking the time. Once the new dummy number is connected to the TPG account I will make a final post, this should be in the next 48 hours.

Thanks

Ahra_G

Good day, chillyphilly01

We do thank you for the time you've taken to express your feedback and it is certainly acknowledged on our end.

I can certainly see that JB has been continuously monitoring and doing all the necessary follow-up needed to finalise the porting of your number. We hope that everything goes well. 

Please don't hesitate to let us know should you have further queries. 

Cheers! Smiley Happy 

chillyphilly01
Level 2

This is my final post. The new number was generated and attached to our TPG account only hours after making the previous post, this was the final step in the process. Thanks for working with me to make the process easy, you guys should be proud of the customer service. Thanks again.