TPG Community

Get online support

Setting up email configuration in Thunderbird and Outlook 2013

wenweb
Level 2

I have tried mutliple times configuring Thunderbird for TPG email, but the settings provided on the TPG website do not work.  I have followed the instructions to the letter, for both POP and IMAP, and repeatedly get the following message: 'Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, username and password'. I have also tried the configuration in Outlook 2013, and get the same message.These settings are correct, as I am able to log into the Post Office. Very frustrated!

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @wenweb . In the username fields, you have worrells. Have you tried with wworrell?

What version of Thunderbird are you using?

wenweb
Level 2

Thank you for  your reply. Yes  - I have tried both worrells and wworrell as the username. I am using Thunderbird 78.7.1 (64-bit). I have also tried setting up Outlook 2013 - which also doesn't work.

david64
Level 15

@wenweb .

Without knowing the error in Outlook, try turning on SMTP authentication in the connection properties; also that your email userid and password are set in properties. Consider using STARTTLS/TLS for security.

For Thunderbird, to check out basic settings, set Authentication to None (or whatever disables SSL/TLS). The username is whatever you use in Post Office.

BTW, what is in the "Advanced config" section?

You can then put security back on. There is an issue with TB v78 when used with TPG mail. TB rejects the TLS version used by TPG unless some customisation is done in TB. 

Look at this thread, the post by david1010, describes the changes for secure operation.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/TPG-email-account-inaccessible-with-Thunderbird-7...