TPG Community

Get online support

continuing to use phone connection with a non-TPG modem

shanefraser1
Level 2

Hi

My setup was an NBN connection, ethernet to a TPG VR1600v, phone from the phone connection and LAN connection to a Deco AC1300 Mesh. All fine.

THEN I purchased a DLink DSL5300 and have now found out the phone won't work with this (and we need to phone for the older generation who still call us).  How can I get the phone working with the new DSL5300 (Ideally without the TPG VR1600) and keeping the Deco mesh?  

I would be OK to keep the VR1600 if needed. Can I connect NBN to the VR1600 (and keep the phone working) the LAN 1 to the DSL5300 and LAN2 to Deco? Any downside to this?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi @shanefraser1 . The VR1600 has to be connected to the NBN connection and operate in normal mode to have the VOIP phone working.

You can make the LAN connections you describe in the last paragraph. You could run ethernet cables to different parts of the house and setup each router to provide wifi coverage. How is the wifi coverage?

Did you buy the DSL5300 to improve wifi coverage?

Most of the capabilities of the DSL5300 will be wasted as an extender. Any chance of returning it? Or maybe reselling it?

shanefraser1
Level 2

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. That is a little disappointing. However the main reason for the DSL5300 was as an extender because he mesh network is pretty poor for the big house with a bunch of people here. Sounds like my options are:

1. Convince the older generation to call our mobiles (and use the DSL530 as the modem with no phone)

2. Use the DSL 5300 as an extender (presumably loosing any modem speed benefits I would have achieved)

3. Return it.

I assume turning the DSL5300 into a extender isn't too tricky (but probaly not a question for you to answer).

Shane

david64
Level 15

@shanefraser1 . When you connected the Deco, you must have changed its LAN ip address and disabled DHCP.  Do same for DSL. Make the addresses outside the 100 to 199 range of the VR1600. Connect each router to VR1600 by LAN to LAN. The remaining LAN ports still work. Each router can be accessed by its local ip address. The 2.4G wifi bands can be set to a different channel (1 or 6 or 11) to avoid interference. The SSIDs can be set so there are just 2 networks.