TPG Community

Get online support

TPG failed to cancel contract

cserentz
Level 2

Hello,

I visited my family in Australia from November 2022 to March 2023 and my step-mother took out a TPG 1 month rolling contract on the 23rd November 2023 in her name for me as i didnt have an australian bank account. I had no issues with the service during use.

However, when i was nearing the end of my trip, I contacted TPG via phone to cancel the contract on the 13th March 2023. I was informed that I could not request the cancellation as I was not the account holder, my step mother then requested the cancellation via phone. I then discarded the SIM following the cancellation (normal practice).

I am very angry and dissappointed to report that payments were contiunally taken from her account, now totally 6 months ($100) despite numerous follow up calls to cancel and recover the unjustified payments taken by TPG after cancellation (with another $20 likely to be taken in September). This has caused my step mother undue stress and financial loss and is quite frankly terrible behaviour from TPG. After browsing the forums it appears this is not an isolated incident. TPG what is going on?

I expect this contact to be cancelled ASAP and the wrongly taken funds returned. I look forward to hearing from you.

I have also emailed TPG customer service with the following:

Hello,

I attempted to cancel this contact on the 13th March 2023 via phone but was unable to do so as the payments came from my step-mother because I did not have a bank account at the time. I was also informed that if she contacted TPG prior to the 22nd requesting cancellation there would be no further charges. She then subsequently cancelled via a phone call prior to renewal date of the 22nd March 2023.

I am extremely angry and disappointed by the lack of service provided as despite numerous cancellation requests via phone, payments have repeatedly been taken from her account every month now totalling 6 months ($100). This contract was no longer required as I left the country, you can verify this from the clear lack of usage/connection from mid Match 2023. I am unable to login to the online account as I no longer have the sim (following cancellation request) so cannot receive the verification text.

Please can you confirm the following:

1. Cancellation of this contract as per the request made in March by STEP MUM NAME (cc’d)
  2. Refund of all payments to date from the 22nd March (this may include September depending on when this email is actioned)
  3. Investigate why the cancellation requests failed to materialise
9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @cserentz ,

All NBN plans have a Minimum Contract Period. The Minimum Contract Period is the minimum period during which you must acquire the service. The Minimum Contract Period commences when the service is activated.

If, during the Minimum Contract Period, you cancel the service or we cancel the service because of your default, you must pay an early termination charge. Such termination fees are set out at additional pricing.

Only the account holder can make changes and request cancellation of the account. We suggest advising the account holder to contact us for any dispute with an early termination fee.

They call directly at 1300 993 011.

Regards,

cserentz
Level 2
Thanks for your response although it appears you have not read my initial message correctly. The rolling monthly contract has no minimum period (as per the critical information where the contract may be cancelled at any time).

I also stated that the account holder requested the cancellation numerous times.

Look forward to your response.
Shane

Hi @cserentz 

Yes, I understand that the account holder contacted us multiple times.

I can help check the account to better understand the history of the cancellation request; however, given that you are not the account holder, I can only provide basic information.

It is best to advise the account holder to contact us directly to clarify the early termination fee of the canceled account.

Regards,

Thanks for your response although it appears you have not read my initial message correctly. The rolling monthly contract has no minimum period (as per the critical information where the contract may be cancelled at any time).

I also stated that the account holder requested the cancellation numerous times.

Look forward to your response.

cserentz
Level 2

I have been writing these messages with the account holder. Please advise how best to contact you as all previous attempts have failed to yield the appropriate action (cancellation and refund of excessive billing after the original cancellation).

BasilDV

Hi @cserentz 

Please advise the account holder to contact our team on  1300 993 011 for real-time support and discussion.

BasilDV

naerentz
Level 2

hi, I am the account holder. I cannot log into the system as the sim was discarded once the cancellation was confirmed via phone earlier this year. Please can you let me know how it is best to contact you.

Shane

Hi @naerentz,

Send us a PM with the details of the account so we can coordinate this with our Accounts Team to provide details of the early termination fee.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

hi, I am the account holder. I cannot log into the system as the sim was discarded once the cancellation was confirmed via phone earlier this year. Please can you let me know how it is best to contact you.

naerentz
Level 2

I will send you a message, but as this is ROLLING MONTHLY contract, there are no fees due as per the agreement. I expect the incorrectly taken payments to be refunded.

jaca54
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @cserentz,

All NBN plans have a Minimum Contract Period. The Minimum Contract Period is the minimum period during which you must acquire the service. The Minimum Contract Period commences when the service is activated.

If, during the Minimum Contract Period, you cancel the service or we cancel the service because of your default, you must pay an early termination charge. Such termination fees are set out at additional pricing.

@Shane wrote:

Hi @naerentz,

Send us a PM with the details of the account so we can coordinate this with our Accounts Team to provide details of the early termination fee.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Shane, this query was posted in the 'SIM Only Plans' section of the forum. Plus the original poster refers to disposing of a SIM after calling to cancel, and also refers to TPG charging $20 per month, so wouldn't the service in question most likely be a SIM-only mobile service, rather than NBN.

The Critical Info Summary for TPG SIM-only plans clearly states that there is no Early Termination Charge, which is something the original poster also mentioned.

Considering the information shared by the original poster, it seems highly likely that TPG have failed to honor the cancellation request for a SIM only mobile plan, and are continuing to charge the customer every month, so I'm unclear on why you keep referring to an early termination fee.