TPG Community

Get online support

Re-install Email

irishdragon
Level 2

My desktop computer crashed and I have lost my email account. How can I re-install it?

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @irishdragon,

If you are referring to the email address linked to your TPG account or the TPG email, please note that it is under the POP3 email protocol.

For POP3 email accounts, it is by default that emails will be deleted after 45 days. In the event that the emails has been downloaded to a certain/specific devices it cannot be downloaded again from the email server.

The only way you can retain the emails is to use an email client and download all those email to your device.

Regards,

My desktop computer crashed and I have lost my email account. How can I re-install it?

irishdragon
Level 2

Thanks Shane, but what I meant is that I don't have an email service anymore. I have lost access to my email service.

As for emails being deleated after 45 days that was not the case with mine as I was able to retain my email folders indefinately.

My only concern now is to have my email service back on my desktop computer. Can you please advise me how I can re-install it.

david64
Level 15

Hi @irishdragon . If your computer locked up and you had to reboot it, or it physically broke, that wouldn't have affected your mail account in Post Office (webmail). Are you still able to login to that? Or do you have a password problem?

When you say you kept your folders indefinitely, is that because you had an IMAP mail account where emails are never deleted (well no; the moderator said you had POP3 mail box)? Or, is it because you used an email client on your computer to download your mail items from your POP3 mail box? Must be the case.

Depending on the "crash", and what repair was done, the location with all the client's emails may have been cleared. Means they're gone for good unless you have them backed up. If the mail client software has been deleted, you have to re-install it.

You can retrieve the last 45 days of your Post Office inbox. Select Inbox. Click the gear symbol with the down arrow next to it. Click Select All. Click the symbol again and click Mark as Unread. Your mail client should be able to download them again.

irishdragon
Level 2

Hi David. Thanks for your reply.

When TPG technician helped me setup my account and emails many years ago, I had an icon on my taskbar which took me straight to my emails. I was able to store some emails in folders which I have kept indefinately.

I don't understand any technical terms but if the moderator said I have POPS then why was I able to retain my emails in folders for years.

I can still access my emails through my TPG account but would like it on my desktop taskbar as before.

It's been many years since my email setup so maybe things have changed and maybe I can't have it back the way it was.

Storing some emails in folders is very important to me so I might have to rethink mt internet options. Thanks again for your assistance. 

david64
Level 15

@irishdragon . When you access your emails through your TPG account (https://www.tpg.com.au/myaccount), is this where you see folders and emails from years ago? 

(You can also get to TPG mail by:     https://www.tpg.com.au/home/postoffice)

Regarding the task bar icon, what program did it run? 
Was it a browser (Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, ...)? You would then get a login screen and then see your Inbox and folders.

Or, was it an email client (Outlook, Windows Live Mail, ...)? Clients are set up so that you don't need to login each time. Emails are stored on your computer.

irishdragon
Level 2

@david64.  When I log in to  (https://www.tpg.com.au/myaccount) I only get the current emails which expire in 45 days.

I was using outlook 2012. So maybe I did have a Client setup ( I've never heard of Client before)

Does that mean all my email folders are still somewhere on my computer? Can I setup the Client again myself or do I need TPG techs to do it?

I haven't got a clue how to do it but I can follow instructions.

david64
Level 15

@irishdragon . Your mail account is POP3.

Outlook is a mail client. There are several versions of Outlook and any number of other products. Your emails are stored on your computer. The version of Windows and Outlook determines where they are stored.

To be safe, that location should be backed up first. 

Otherwise, try running Outlook from the Start menu or maybe desktop icon. You might find your account still there with all your folders. If your account is missing, adding your account might delete any mails still on computer.

If Outlook product is missing, that's a job for a technical person.

irishdragon
Level 2

@david64. Thank you. I will need to contact a TPG technician.

myalios
Level 2

I am in a similar situation. Recently I had to reformat my computer. Before this I was able to access tpg email via an icon on my task bar. This allowed me direct linkage to my emails and other properties that are not available using a mail client. When it was set up I had to manually put in all the neccessary information, similar to how it is done via win 10 mail client. Only then It was a stand alone. I have serious doubts about using any third party who has whatever control over my emails and refuse to use a mail client. What has this feature stopped and how do I get it back to how it was?