TPG Community

Get online support

remote access to plex

sharno18
Level 2

Since switching to TPG I cant connect to my Plex server via Remote access. I have tried so many different ways but now I'm at the point I have nothing else to try? Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

@sharno18 . Your Plex server needs a reserved ip address in your router, outside the dhcp range of the router.

Set up port forwarding. Forward the Plex port (32400?) to the Plex port on the Plex server.

Set up Dynamic DNS so you can find your home network without worrying about public ip address changing.

There other threads in Community on Plex from other users. Put plex in the search bar.

sharno18
Level 2

@david64 i have tried to set up port forwarding and changing a few other settings on the internet but nothing working

david64
Level 15

@sharno18 .

Can you describe your setup a bit?
Does your remote device have a Plex client that directly connects to the Plex server at home?
Alternatively, does your remote device and your server both connect to Plex web site and exchange info?
Did you set up DDNS so you can access your server using a name rather than public ip address?
Does the Plex client accept a host name instead of an ip address?
What model router do you have?
Do you have all the ports and TCP/UDP protocols forwarded?

Any messages on the remote device when you try to connect?

Something more complex to try. Connect your remote device to your home network.
In command window, do netstat -an command. This shows all the network connections on your device.
Get the Plex software going and connect to your server. Do netstat -an again and compare the connections. You're looking for connections between your device (Local address) and the Plex server (Foreign address). Note the Foreign port numbers; you need rules for them.

If your remote device can't do netstat, do it on the Plex server and swap Local for Foreign.

sharno18
Level 2

I'll have to have a look when i get home. It been so confusing cause with the last provider, i just set up plex and off i went. None of this stuffing around

david64
Level 15

@sharno18 . Do you have the router from your previous provider or can you borrow a suitable one? Won't matter what it's like. You're wanting to test the mechanism of port forwarding and the Plex setup.

If you're using the TPG router, you could try enabling UPnP.

sharno18
Level 2

nah i dont. thought i might go to my aunties on the weekend and try it on there internet - different provider.

im just looking at set up now