TPG Community

Get online support

use old router as wifi extender

mogga71
Level 2

Hi can anyone assist me with modifying my old Vividwireless Huawei 8315s-607 router into use as a wifi extender for my TPG service using Archer VR1600v?

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @mogga71,

Welcome to the community!

Old router on the router configuration setting/connection setting must be on 'DHCP mode'

We have answered similar question using 3rd party router. Please visit this link.

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

mogga71
Level 2

Thanks SHane I checked that setting and it was as you instructed.

Is there any other steps I could check?

BasilDV

Hi @mogga71,

Are you able to provide us a screenshot of the settings of your old router? We need to analyze it further as we don't have any reference for third party devices.

Usually, if you are going to use an old router as an access point or extender, the configuration should be set to 'Dynamic IP address'.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

mogga71
Level 2

Hi Basil,

Thanks for your quick response.

I've attached images of settings for old router (vivid Huawei) and settings for TPG router.

I had changed the IP address on VIviid to match TPG. I'm  new to all this. I have also tried reset on the Vivid. THe vivid takes a sim card BTW.

BasilDV

Thank you @mogga71.

As stated on your screenshot (11) post, after you've applied the Dynamic IP settings on it, the TP-Link modem that we've provided should be connected to the WAN/LAN of your Vivid Huawei router via Ethernet cable.

Once connected, try if you are able to access the internet using the WiFi of your Huawei router.

Update us if it's working or not.

Kind regards,

BasilDV