TPG Community

Get online support

No Internet connection on some devices

DavidHN
Level 3

Hi 

I have a work PC & home PC directly connected to my router and a small laptop and phone connected via WiFi. For the last 15 months all has been great but in recent times I am frequently finding that individual devices are no longer connected to the internet in the morning when I get up.

Whilst it happens more often with my home PC, it has also happened a few times with my work PC and I think my phone (its a new phone so that one might be something I have done but its a bit of a coincidence). Either way, this is clearly not a device issue but a router issue. The only way to get a connection basically is to restart the device .. somehwat annoying.

Any suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7
Shane

Hi @DavidHN,

Welcome to the community!

For customers experiencing any issues with their service, we recommend the best thing to do first is check if there's an outage.

Check our Service Status page for any known outages. If you're on NBN, we have created this article that can guide you on How to Check for NBN Network Outage 

If there are no known outages in your area, you can proceed with the troubleshooting steps indicated on this link: 

If you are using a WIFI connection, then you may check these links to improve your home network.

If you need further assistance, please send us a private message with your TPG customer ID, username and complete address so we can take a look at your account.

To send a PM, please refer to this link: How do I private message (PM) in the community

Hi 

I have a work PC & home PC directly connected to my router and a small laptop and phone connected via WiFi. For the last 15 months all has been great but in recent times I am frequently finding that individual devices are no longer connected to the internet in the morning when I get up.

Whilst it happens more often with my home PC, it has also happened a few times with my work PC and I think my phone (its a new phone so that one might be something I have done but its a bit of a coincidence). Either way, this is clearly not a device issue but a router issue. The only way to get a connection basically is to restart the device .. somehwat annoying.

Any suggestions?

david64
Level 15

@DavidHN . When you find these failures in the morning, have all devices disconnected from the internet or just some? Is it both cabled devices, or just the wifi devices?

Next time it happens on a cabled device:

check the LAN light on the router - on or off;

in command window,    ipconfig /all 

does the ethernet adapter still have IPv4, Default, DHCP and DNS addresses?

ping 192.168.1.1

check if the computer is still logically connected to the router

ping 203.26.27.38

this is TPG's web site. 

If these fail, can you still login to the router admin? Check that the router still has an ip address, and default gateway and DNS. This is only needed if all devices have lost internet.

DavidHN
Level 3

Thanks for that.

No it is definitely not happening on all LAN connected devices at the same time. It usually just happens on the home PC (seems to be most mornings now) but it has happened on the Work PC as well although not for a week or so. The WiFi stuff I am less sure about as the new mobile keeps doing wierd things anyway (probably user to blame for that)

I'll try that re the command prompt next time it does it  (probably tomorrow morning). I am pretty sure it has the Lan light lit too but will check again 

I didn't think I could log into a FTTB modem as an ADMIN .. u certainly can't change password etc but as the Work PC still has internet when the Home PC doesn't I assume the router is has an ip address, and default gateway and DNS etc anyway

david64
Level 15

@DavidHN . I received an email this morning to say you had made an update but that post has gone from the thread. But it was in the email anyhow.

Do you do full shutdown on the laptops at night, or hibernate, or just leave running?

The 4 ip addresses are what Windows uses to communicate with the router.

Regarding the home PC, in this case, if you unplug and replug it in same or spare port, any effect?

On the PC, if you disable the ethernet port and re-enable, any effect?

(Control panel, Network, Change adapter settings, right click ethernet icon, click Disable, then Enable.)

Select Properties in the drop down menu. Select Configure. Advanced tab.

Select Energy Efficient Ethernet. I disabled that on my Win7 laptop because it caused problems with browsing. Apparently, it is enabled on gigabit ports but maybe only when both ends support it. (My old ADSL router was 100M; my new NBN router is 1G.)

The use of suffixes on the work PC must be just the way they set it up.

Regarding wifi, there are these standard articles:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...
https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

Speed decreases as distance increases. Check wifi speed in device's Settings.

5G band is faster than 2.4G band but less range.

DavidHN
Level 3

Sorry bout that. I deleted it because I realised I had only run one of the 2 ping tests u had suggested and I couldn't even remember which one. By that stage I had rebooted so it was all working so I thought I would try again tomorrow morning.

The Home PC which is usually the one having connection issues, is a desktop which "Goes to Sleep" after 30 minutes, however it certainly doesn't have this problem after a few hours of being asleep at other times as it can be left for hours with no problem .. it only ever seems an issue 1st thing in the morning. The Work PC is a Surface Pro. I don't bother shutting down either usually.

I followed the instruiction below but don't seem to have an Enery Efficient Ethernet option (Windows 10 btw) but I do have  whats in the pics below and was wondering if this is the same thing

Obviously I can't check the other bits till tomorrow morning when I dare say it does it again, but I previously did check the ethernet cable was plugged in poproperly. I am pretty sure I also disabled and enabled the Network Device but I am sure it insisted on rebooting the PC anyway (that said I just did it while it is working and it did not reboot, so may be I was sellecting a reset of the device or something after "troubleshooting")

I'll check again tomorrow morning as it only seems to happen over night. Weird thing is I am not one to tamper with settings and no one else uses the PC so not sure why it would have started doing this after a year on TPG FTTB unless something is "failing"

Thanks for ur ongoing help :-)

david64
Level 15

@DavidHN . 

The energy efficient thing might only be for a laptop to save the battery when running on battery.

For tonight, suggest to untick the option "Allow computer to turn off this device". There might be a tie-in with the Power Options of the computer; exactly what does SLEEP do? If the computer turns the ethernet off, what turns it back on? 

(There's a thing called Wake on LAN, and Magic Packet. You can find these via Google.)

Lehner
Level 2

Try turning off the Wi-Fi on your device, then re-enabling it. If that doesn't work, do the same with your router by unplugging it and then plugging it back in 30 seconds later. ... If you're running Windows 10, search for “wifi troubleshooting” and open the result, which should be Identify and Repair Network Issues. MyBalanceNow