TPG FTTB TP-Link VR1600v in cabinet?

Sydney_cbd
Level 2

Looking to get TPG FTTB in my unit as it is available..

I had NBN before and setup was like that because having the wifi router in a wall cabinet affected the wifi range badly.....

------- wall cabinet -----------........................ ----------- living room--------

NBN NTU ---- LAN switch ----rj45......rj45---LAN switch -----wifi router 

unit has internal Cat 5 wiring from each bedroom/living room to wall cabinet. 
between the LAN switches, I had 2 VLANs: 1 Vlan from my router WAN port to NBN NTU and 2nd vlan to internal LAN to bedrooms...

With TP-Link VR1600v:

- ok to be in cabinet and run it in bridge mode?

- LAN port from TP-Link VR1600v to my LAN switch and then I can use the same setup as above with my wifi router?

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @Sydney_cbd . FTTN has no NBN box. The telephone line connects to DSL port on VR1600. It can be in bridge mode with VLAN ID=2. The other router has PPPoE settings. 

Is the telephone outlet in the cabinet or in a room?

I don't know how the 2 switches and 2 vlans will go.

Cat5 cable restricts you to 100Mbps.

Sydney_cbd
Level 2

The telephone line connects to DSL port on VR1600. It can be in bridge mode with VLAN ID=2. The other router has PPPoE settings. 

> it would be like this?
phone line --- vr1600 bridge mode (in cabinet) --- vlan #2 --- LAN switch in cabinet --- ...

.... dot1q trunk .... LAN switch in living room--- my router

so my router needs to support pppoe over vlan ID#2?

I would have 1 other vlan (say vlan 100) across the dot1q trunk for patching to other bedroom ports from the LAN port of my router

Is the telephone outlet in the cabinet or in a room?

> Telephone outlet only in cabinet. 

david64
Level 15

@Sydney_cbd . What is the model of your main router?

Are you using the switches to allow more ethernet connections? Using vlans provides logical isolation between groups of ethernet devices. Is this a requirement?

Having the main router at the end of the chain may mean that data is traversing some segments twice.

Is there only a single ethernet outlet in each room?

Sydney_cbd
Level 2

What is the model of your main router?

> netgear r8000

Are you using the switches to allow more ethernet connections? Using vlans provides logical isolation between groups of ethernet devices. Is this a requirement?

> switches there as I needed to terminate NBN and the NBN port is in the cabinet. 
router need to be in living room for wifi to work across the unit.  
With only 1 port in living room, need vlans. 

Having the main router at the end of the chain may mean that data is traversing some segments twice.

> yes correct for wired devices from other bedrooms 

Is there only a single ethernet outlet in each room?

> yes correct 

david64
Level 15

@Sydney_cbd . In answer to your original question, probably.

If the R8000 generates frames with vlan id 2, that can be used to route back to cabinet switch. But VR1600 might not like receiving frames on lan port with a vlan tag. So cabinet switch has to remove tag and insert tag in frames coming back from VR1600.

Out of interest, what model switches are you using?

Sydney_cbd
Level 2

If the R8000 generates frames with vlan id 2, that can be used to route back to cabinet switch. But VR1600 might not like receiving frames on lan port with a vlan tag. So cabinet switch has to remove tag and insert tag in frames coming back from VR1600.

> ok got it. 

Out of interest, what model switches are you using?

> Dlink DGS 1100-08 for quite a long time. I think they are discontinued now..