TPG Community

Get online support

VX420-G2h firmware upgrade? Works with Google Nest Battery?

SOLVED Go to solution
InternetUser2
Level 3

I'm trying to set up a Google Nest Doorbell (battery), and I have both an Eero mesh WiFi, and the VX420-G2h modem router. During the initial setup, the doorbell gets updated. Here's the issue. When my phone and doorbell are connected to either the Eero or the router, the update is always stuck at 0%. Which stops my Google Home app from completing the setup

But if the phone and doorbell are connected to a mobile hotspot during the setup, the update finishes instantly

Would anyone know if there's some setting in the mesh WiFi or modem router that I can adjust so that the update isn't stuck at 0%? So far I've tried the following
- Enable IPv6

- Disable IPv4 SPI Firewall
- Disable IPv6 SPI Firewall
- Port forward the doorbell 

- Allow doorbell past IPv6 firewall

Any help would be appreciated!

david64
Level 15

@InternetUser2 . Putting aside the issue of update not working, with the phone and doorbell connected to the home wifi, do you get proper operation viewing the camera?

Are you using the Eero to extend wifi coverage in your house?

Since the doorbell would normally stay connected to the wifi of either VX420 or Eero, do you have proper operation when you have your phone on the same wifi as doorbell and on the other wifi as you move further away?

Do your other wifi devices work as expected?

What is the Eero model?

InternetUser2
Level 3

I have a 3-pack Eero model numbr J010001. I bought it on https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B085Q2ZF1X?ref_=pe_2361882_295287342_301_E_DDE_dt_1#tech

If the setup's update is stuck at 0%, the setup won't complete. The result is my Google Home app has a doorbell that's perpetually offline. I can't see live video, change settings etc. So setup via Eero/modem router results in a doorbell that doesn't work

The only way I've gotten doorbell online (and working) is by the following
1. Change mobile hotspot network name and password so it's the same as the Eero mesh WiFi
2. Turn off Eero
3. Complete doorbell setup on hotspot
4. Turn off hotspot + turn on Eero
5. Restart phone and doorbell

Even with above method however, the connection between doorbell and phone is unstable. Sometimes the live video won't show even after waiting for 1 min. It also won't connect to talk and listen (which lets me talk into phone, and then my voice is projected by the doorbell). Which is why I'm wondering if there's a setting I can modify on the Eero/modem router that allows the doorbell's setup to complete the update without any issues

All devices connected to the Eero WiFi has working access to the internet (no device is connected to the modem router currently)

david64
Level 15

@InternetUser2 . Were you able to give different names to the wifi bands on VX420? (Disable band steering.)

Since nothing is connected to the VX420 wifi, is its wifi disabled?

Is the main Eero unit cabled to the VX420?

Did you ever test the phone and doorbell on the VX420 wifi without the Eero?

The doorbell can connect to both wifi bands. Can your phone also, or can it only connect to 2.4 or 5?

Can you use your phone to check for surrounding wifi networks that might cause interference.

On the VX420, allocate a fixed ip address for the doorbell (outside dhcp pool range). On your computer, use ping command to doorbell while you try to access camera, etc. Check if there is a connection problem.

ping -t       and ip address you chose.

Use Control C to stop ping.

Check the System Log on VX420 for any messages related to the doorbell's mac address or ip address.

There doesn't seem to be a manual for the Eero; you'd have to look through the app to see what it can do. 

Check with Eero support.

InternetUser2
Level 3

Yep, I can give different names to the 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz wifi bands on VX420 (confirmed in the past)

Yes, the VX420 wifi is currently disabled

Yep, 1
 Eero unit is connected to the VX420 via an ethernet cable. I don't know how to tell if it's the main unit unfortunately

Yep, I tested the phone and doorbell on the VX420 wifi without the Eero in the past. It worked once out of roughly 10+ attempts. But when I tried replicating the success with the same modem router settings, it didn't work again 😢

My phone shows both the 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi bands from VX420 when I tested it in the past. Weirdly enough, the doorbell only showed 2.4 (no 5.0) 

Regarding "
Can you use your phone to check for surrounding wifi networks that might cause interference." This is what my phone shows

363837011_1302748250614597_6805582366699419772_n.jpg

This is what the doorbell setup shows

363833236_1750849222013322_6700365868437642719_n.jpg

Regarding "On the VX420, allocate a fixed ip address for the doorbell", is that only possible if the doorbell is connected to the modem router directly? Cause currently it's connected to the Eero, and the VX420 WiFi is disabled

david64
Level 15

@InternetUser2 . All your wifi devices should show up in VX420 as real devices with mac address and the ip address allocated by VX420. You can login to VX420 from your phone to check. 

The fact you couldn't get reliable operation with just the VX420 wifi means that it is part of current problem.

Regarding ping command, you can also ping your phone. Start the command on your computer and move the phone around your house and see if it maintains connection, ie. either none or very few timeouts.

david64
Level 15

@InternetUser2 .

My phone shows both the 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi bands from VX420 when I tested it in the past. Weirdly enough, the doorbell only showed 2.4 (no 5.0) 

The doorbell might have been out of range of the 5.0 wifi signal from the VX420.

InternetUser2
Level 3

I think the doorbell was within range of the 5.0 WiFi signal, as it was less than 1m from the modem router

I ended up refunding the doorbell cause I couldn't get it to work after trying to solve the issue for 21 hours. I wanna say a big thank you for having taken the time to help me the best you could. I seriously appreciate it!