TPG Community

Get online support

0.24mbps Upload but 50mbps Download

SOLVED Go to solution
F_rank
Level 3

I understand that this is quite a common issue but was unable to find an existing solution that didn't require direct contact with support. 

I am using a TPG-supplied HG659 huawei modem, connected to a Netgear Nighthawk AX8 router. 

I've been wondering if the issue has something to do with the firmware of the huawei modem? I've seen others who have an upload speed limiter in their settings but I can't find it. I've attached a screenshot of the hardware/software version.

Thank you, I'd like to solve this asap

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

@F_rank . The Arris is the modem (interface to NBN) and Netgear is the router. This is how most people use HFC.

Do factory reset on HG659 and put in PPPoE, username and password so that you can get internet using just it.

See if you can find VLAN ID in its config to verify the type of plan you have. I have a feeling that HG659 cannot be used on data-only plan. This means the Netgear will have to be configured with VLAN ID.

Read this thread which explains how to set VLAN ID.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Connecting-a-Nighthawk-AX8-to-FTC/m-p/107482

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @F_rank . This is possibly the latest version: V100R001C216B013.

Are you using the HG659 because you have FTTB/FTTN and need the DSL port to connect to the phone socket?

Or are you using the VOIP phone service?

If you are not using the VOIP phone, you can put the HG659 into bridge mode and run the Netgear as a standard router, rather than as an access point. 

F_rank
Level 3

Hello, yes I have the HG659 connected to the NBN blackbox and it's in bridge mode connected to the nighthawk router. Is the photo I attached bridge mode? Is there a setting I need to activate on the nighthawk router to make sure it's not an access point?

I've also attached a photo of the netgear settings, I think it's already on the router option

david64
Level 15

@F_rank . From the photos, it looks like the HG659 is in bridge and the Netgear is a proper router.

You should not be able to login to HG659.

The Netgear should have the PPoE settings and a WAN ip address.

The Netgear WAN port connects to the HG659 LAN port.

Is the NBN black box an Arris with green lights or some other type of box?

F_rank
Level 3

Oh, yes I had to connect my PC through ethernet to access the HG659 settings.

I'm pretty sure the netgear router already has those settings. The TPG login information right?

I searched what the Arris looks like and it looks the same as my NBN box

Thank you

david64
Level 15

@F_rank . Arris box means you have HFC connection. If you get 50Mbps download, you should get up to 20Mbps upload. There may still be something in the network causing slow up speed that TPG will have to fix.

You have the option to connect the Netgear directly to Arris and do away with the HG659.

The only extra info needed is if you have Bundled NBN/VOIP plan (VLAN ID is used), or Data Only plan (no VOIP so no VLAN ID).

You need to check in HG659 config.

The Netgear has PPPoE, username and password. And maybe the VLAN ID setting.

F_rank
Level 3

I've tried connecting the netgear router directly to the NBN box but it never worked, I think the nighthawk is a router only, and doesn't work on its own. 

My internet plan doesn't have a phone plan included if that helps at all. I wasn't able to find anything in either of the router settings.

Thanks

david64
Level 15

@F_rank . The Arris is the modem (interface to NBN) and Netgear is the router. This is how most people use HFC.

Do factory reset on HG659 and put in PPPoE, username and password so that you can get internet using just it.

See if you can find VLAN ID in its config to verify the type of plan you have. I have a feeling that HG659 cannot be used on data-only plan. This means the Netgear will have to be configured with VLAN ID.

Read this thread which explains how to set VLAN ID.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Connecting-a-Nighthawk-AX8-to-FTC/m-p/107482

Ahra_G

Hi @F_rank

You may also send us a private message with your TPG customer ID or username so we can also check your service. 

Although most of the troubleshooting has been provided by @david64

-Ahra_G

F_rank
Level 3

Hi, thank you very much for your help!

I was able to change the VLAN ID from 10 to 2, which allowed me to use the Nighthawk without the HG659 modem. This also fixed my upload speed issue.

The links were very helpful, thank you