TPG Community

Get online support

4g wireless is not connecting, network fine. 4g still prevelent with other providers on phone.

SOLVED Go to solution
JordanJD
Level 3
Hi TPG,
I lodged a call Friday for fail to connect to 4g network and was informed some service work in area 8-24hrs, that time has passed and still not connected..

I suspect throttling, given phone connections are at normal speed (different carrier.)

This seems to happen a little too frequently.
I am concerned per this output on tpg website:
Speeds may slow when the network is experiencing periods of high usage that cause congestion. During periods of network congestion, we may de-prioritise your Home Wireless speeds. This could mean that during periods of congestion some data traffic will receive less priority over other traffic on the network, and you may experience slower Home Wireless speeds as a result.

I can't even connect to do a speed test.

No infrastructure has changed my side, rebooted the router via router and via switch. External issue.

Please lodge a technical incident, I get tired of calling support/technical and having them not lodge me a number telling me to wait.

Cheers
Jordan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JordanJD
Level 3
Hi Thread/Basil.
It seems your investigation has made a result.
Currently running 3.3down, 1.7 up.
That's better then no connection.

For those following Thread, dm of details to mod seemed to trigger the required movement.

Does nothing to not convince me ISP just took the throttle off a bit, but thanks Basil for triggering a response that got the household connected ready for work tomorrow.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BasilDV

Hi @JordanJD 

We'd like to check on the status of the case.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

JordanJD
Level 3
Vodafone network suggests issued resolved on 17.3.
That does not seem to be the case now 19.3.

Looking for help.
JordanJD
Level 3
Hi Thread/Basil.
It seems your investigation has made a result.
Currently running 3.3down, 1.7 up.
That's better then no connection.

For those following Thread, dm of details to mod seemed to trigger the required movement.

Does nothing to not convince me ISP just took the throttle off a bit, but thanks Basil for triggering a response that got the household connected ready for work tomorrow.

Thanks!
david64
Level 15

@JordanJD . This does not seem fast at all. Overall, it is nowhere near what ADSL would have provided.

JordanJD
Level 3

oh, i agree.

Usually, after calling multiple times, lodging a position, and having technical not call me back at the time they said they would, the ISP throttle gets lifted, and we move closer to 8-10 down. Lasts about 5 days. Then I suspect someone switches the limiter on. All the "Basils" usually help. 

Its highly suspect, given the capacity of the phone to receive signal at all times. Otherwise tho, with just two internet users in the home, a bit of netflix and email we are not significant users, so the pricepoint suits. I am certainly not paying TPG for their on call response time! lol, just to be connected.

@BasilDV  any commentary on the matter of the ISP throttling the service? It must be a thing 

JordanJD
Level 3

Its also homewireless 4g, so effectively just another Sim card inserted into a router. 

david64
Level 15

@JordanJD . Is the 4G router positioned to get good signal?

Do you have an ethernet computer or do you use wifi devices?

Best indication of speed is ethernet computer. 

Do speedtest late at night.

If wifi device, what wifi connection speed does it get? This is the speed shown on the device in Settings where it also shows ip address.

Does the device have good signal strength? Further distance from router means less signal strength and lower speed. 2.4GHz band has longer range.

BasilDV

Hi @JordanJD 

We do not throttle the service of our customers as we can't see any benefit in it.

The previously advised outage affecting your service was not resolved, which is causing the issue.

We'd like to raise this with our Tech team to further check on how we can improve it.

Kindly reply to my PM with your contact details.

BasilDV

JordanJD
Level 3
Hi Basil.
Details previously sent.
Per David's input, ethernet cable is understood but that's of nil issue currently as we are out again..

Both 4g and internet lights out. Zero connectivity to outside internet. Home network fine. We almost have line of sight to tower.

Will be advised on the outage.

Cheers
Jordan