Analogue Phone

Morj_AU
Level 2

You stated i can use BYO modem TP-Link Archer VR400 for nbn FTTB/N, and TPG have supplied setting for internet. I have digital phone service activated on my account. The modem doesn't have a dedicated phone line socket. I have a VOIP linksys adapter but im not getting hpone dial tone when connect to a LAN port. How do i connect and setup ?

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Morj_AU . If you are on Bundled NBN/VOIP plan and you want to use the phone function, you have to use the router provided by TPG. The router firmware has been modified to work with the TPG VOIP server.

Is your internet access working apart from the phone?

Morj_AU
Level 2

Hey David, Yep. the original 6 year old Huawei moden died. I didn't do enough research i guess. I found and purcahsed the Archer VR400 as i could see TPG gave the settings online for it and it was readily available at local store and within budget. Didn't really think about it too much, got it working finally with some setting changes but the realised the phone doesn't require the splitter. Did a little googling about VOIP adapters but obviously not enough. I can get into the Linksys menu set static ip address to try and create port forwarding on the Archer VR400. But now you have replied about firmware i can see what the issue is, thenks TPG. Surely some setting should beable to put this straight? Don't want a TPG modem.  How do i get my phone working? would a VOIP phone work or not? 

david64
Level 15

@Morj_AU . Without using TPG router, you need an IP phone or analog telephone adapter (I guess this is the Linksys). And an account with a 3rd party VOIP provider. You program the Linksys with the 3rd party details. If you want to keep your current number, it has to be ported to the 3rd party. Your TPG connection may have to become a Data Only type.

Not clear on procedures or timing.

If a new number is OK, the 3rd party provider will provide one.

BasilDV

Hi @Morj_AU 

The bundled VoIP will not work on a third party modem/router.

BasilDV