TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v Parental Control

karlstra
Level 2

Hi, I have the above modem, I have tried to activate the parental control feature to restrict access to some user devices, ipod, I pad and a PC  and followed all instructions as written but the unit still does not restrict access as configured. I'm trying to restrict all internett access between 0000 and 0700 all days. 

22 REPLIES 22
Riezl

Hi @karlstra,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The steps that needs to be performed to control the parental lock are:

1. Toggle on parental controls

2.Click Add.

3.The user should enter or scan the device name,mac address of their device manually to add a device that is not connected.

4. Select the effective time period during which the restriction applies.

5.Enter a description into the description field.

6.Select enable this entry.

7. Click save.

Please see image below.

Parental Control.PNG

karlstra
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the info, I tried that and set it up exactly as shown, ...but it does not work. Meaning The devices are still connected to the internett during the effective (blocked) time. What am I doing wrong? 

The correct Mac addresses are selected , saved and the Parental Control is toggled on...

Riezl

Hi @karlstra, are you able to check if the time on the modem is correct for your timezone?

karlstra
Level 2

Hi ..yes the time is correct and corresponds to Australia Melblurne.

Riezl

Hi @karlstra,

My apologies that my initial steps lack a certain component. TP-Link's Parental Control feature requires keyword restriction for it to work.

After you set the date/time, you need to turn on the Content Restriction.

Choose either Blacklist or Whitelist for the Restriction Type.

• Blacklist - controlled devices will not be able to access any websites containing the specified keywords during the date/time you've set.
  • Whitelist - will allow the controlled devices access to the specified keyword/s only (for the date/time set).

In the given example (screenshot) above, the controlled devices won't be able to access facebook.com and google.com.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JongR

Hi @karlstra

I recall a similar question posted a while back.

Let me share that link. I hope this helps.

Re: limit internet bandwidth for individual users

Have you seen a helpful comment lately? Be sure to give it a Like.
If a reply to your question solves the problem, be sure to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Sjambok
Level 2

There doesn't appear to be a way to restrict ALL access by certain devices for set time periods? I tried setting *.* as keywords, but this doesn't work.

BasilDV

Hi @Sjambok

Have you tried to put a "word" as a keyword and not a symbol?

The system might not read the "symbol" as a keyword.

Regards,

BasilDV

Bobbyg
Level 2

I tried everything listed here and nothing seems to work. Been trying for a while, every so often, same result all the time. The fact that also the transmission power has reduced drastically just after three months of use, plus this failure of parental control, seemingly to many others, doesn't do anything at all, brings me to just one conclusion about this router, it's a failure.

Regards,

Bobby