TPG Community

Get online support

Blocking of websites related to the Christchurch Incident

tojo81
Level 2

Hello there,

My name is Marisa, and I am a 20yo transgirl who is writing to you about the blocking of access to certain sites such as 4chan and 8chan due to the terrible events that occurred in Christchurch. I want to preface this by saying I am disgusted by the events that occurred in Christchurch, and I am disgusted by the actions of the shooter and his association with these two websites, and my country as a whole. The reason I am writing this is because I want to ask when these websites will be accessible again, because I depend on the /lgbt/ and /soc/ boards on these websites for emotional and social support, and have many personal friends on them that I am scared I will never see again. I know the situation is similar for many other people in the lgbt community who rely on these boards for support and I think it has affected them emotionally that they are now refused access to a place were they can discuss their issues without judgements, even if it must coexist with uglier places of discussion.

Thank you for listening,

5 REPLIES 5
whipray
Level 3

I'm not a TPG rep.

If TPG (and the other ISPs) are blocking/censoring the sites that you need for support and refuse to reinstate access, I would suggest that you consider looking into VPN services to bypass these restrictions. NordVPN is an example. Note that this is a paid service.

Alternatively, you could try changing the DNS settings on your computer/router to something other than the TPG DNS servers. You could, for example, use Google's free public DNS IP addresses:

• primary: 8.8.8.8
  • secondary: 8.8.4.4

All the best.

MarkMarkMark
Level 2

I would suggest you do not use Google for your DNS setting for privacy and tracking reasons.

Goto the website 1.1.1.1/dns and read what they say.

Its easy to do in your router settings and also an android app.

If you have any problems just Duck Duck Go it. https://duckduckgo.com

whipray
Level 3

Good point @MarkMarkMark 

I personally don't use Google DNS either, opting instead for a handful of DNS servers from the OpenNIC Project (https://www.opennic.org/

You are right though - using Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 is preferable to Google's 8.8.8.8

Cheers,

Whipray

RandyBonnette
Level 2

@writemyessaytoday wrote:

I'm not a TPG rep.

If TPG (and the other ISPs) are blocking/censoring the sites that you need for support and refuse to reinstate access, I would suggest that you consider looking into VPN services to bypass these restrictions. NordVPN is an example. Note that this is a paid service.

Alternatively, you could try changing the DNS settings on your computer/router to something other than the TPG DNS servers. You could, for example, use Google's free public DNS IP addresses:

• primary: 8.8.8.8
  • secondary: 8.8.4.4

All the best.

I've just seen the article by Divina Paredes - NZ ISPs block websites with footage of Christchurch shooting.

What may be a good alternative to NordVPN? Are there any valid free tools?

Daniel213
Level 2

OnlyFans is a way to help content creators monetise their fan base!  onlyfanshack.pro