TPG Community

Get online support

D-Link DIR-X5460 can't connect to TPG

SOLVED Go to solution
Deccas
Level 3

Hi there

I recently purchased a D-Link DIR-X5460 to take advantage of the free 6 month upgrade, plus the old Netcomm router supplied by TPG when I joined is having WiFi connectivity issues.

Going through the wizard to set it up as a PPPoE, I enter all the details.  The username is entered with @TPG.com.au following it and the password is correct - I can log into my account on the TPG website no problem.

However after 60 seconds of rebooting, it shows a failed connection to the internet.  The light remains orange on the router.  I tried selecting *other* instead of TPG as the ISP in the Wizard, and it also cannot get past the username/password stage.

I also tried setting it up as a Static connection using the details on TPG account, this showed a connection to internet (i.e. green tick, and light went from orange to white on the router) however my devices would not connect to the internet.

I have a FTTP NBN connection.  The old TPG modem works when I hook it back up again.  The lights on the NBN modem are the same for each router when plugged in.

I'm sure there is a simple solution to this but it eludes me!  Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Deccas
Level 3

Just to close this thread off.  I tried out two D-Link DIR-X5460 units and neither of them worked. Both of them were returned to CentreCom and faulted for them as well.

I selected an ASUS RT-AX86U AX5700 as a replacement, it cost a bit more however. Once I'd set it up, again there was no internet connection, however I downloaded the firmware update, reset the unit (can't skip this step!), and tried again, and voila! it was working like a charm.

View solution in original post

55 REPLIES 55
david64
Level 15

Hi @Deccas . Regarding the settings, VLAN ID setting is not used on FTTP.

When a wifi device connects to the router, does it get an ip address?

On your computer, use   ipconfig  command to check the local network.

Are there any clues in the System Log?

In the PPPoE section, Advanced Settings: what values do you have here?

BasilDV

Hi @Deccas 

Thanks for raising this with us.

We tried to search for your account using your community details to no avail.

Given that you've configured the router correctly, did you make sure that the physical connection is correct?

Is the NBN NTD box connected to the WAN port of the D-Link router?

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number for us to check if the new router is communicating with the NBN server.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV

Deccas
Level 3

Hi Basil

Thanks for getting back to me.  Yes, the NBN modem is connected to the yellow WAN port.  The cable is connected correctly on the NBN modem side as I can plug in the old router and connect to the internet successfully.  I have PM'd you my details.

Regards

Deccas

Deccas
Level 3

Hi David

Thanks for getting back to me.

VLAN ID is enabled when the wizard sets up the connection with TPG selected as the ISP, however when VLAN is disabled there is still no connection.

I have attached screenshots of the IPCONFIG results with the new D-Link Router.

The system log doesn't seem to provide much help from what I can see.

I have attached screenshots of the PPPoE IPv4 advanced settings too.

Cheers

D.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Deccas . On the old router, is IPv6 enabled? Does Win10 get an IPv6 address? If not, try to disable IPv6 on new router.

And what is the MTU? (My VR1600 has 1480.)

On the new router, if you are FTTP, Triple Play option should be disabled, but check that the Internet VLAN TAG setting is disabled.

Else, enable Triple Play and Priority ID, which gives access to the VLAN ID setting:

Internet VLAN section: VLAN TAG enabled, Internet VLAN ID=2, Priority=0.

In Internet setup, try adding the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses, although these should come from TPG during connection process.

If still not working, consider attaching the router log from a restart.

Deccas
Level 3

Hello David

I'm don't think IPv6 is not enabled on the old router.  I've attached a screenshot of the IPCONFIG results from the old Netcomm router.

MTU is 1492, see screen shot attached (D-Link internet settings).

I have tied the 3 options of disabling Triple Play, leaving Triple Play enabled but turning off VLAN, and also leaving all the options on and setting VLAN ID=2, Priority=0 (it was already set at this automatically).  None of these allow me to connect once the options are saved and the router resets.

I did try and use the Option of Other rather than TPG in the wizard, and it failed to get past the PPoE login connection to TPG.  See screen shot attached (D-Link wizard option OTHER).  Does this mean that it cannot "see" my account at TPG?  Remember, I can login in fine to my account on the TPG website using these exact same login details.

I have rechecked the cables.  The same cable from the NBN modem to the router works fine on the Netcomm router, so there is no problem with that.

I will try and work out how to get the logs from start up and attach them.

Thanks for your time so far.

D.

Deccas
Level 3

Note that I have logged a fault for this issue via the App.  The number is 11304821.

D.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Deccas . In the wizard picture showing your username and password is a red "Invalid" message. Maybe the wizard has enough info at this point to try to make the internet connection or there is an invalid character in the input. To find out which it is, disconnect the X5460 from the NBN box, do a factory reset and try the wizard again. If you get the same red message with it disconnected, I'd say there is an invalid character in username/password. 

I missed that you said you are FTTP in first post, so VLAN ID should be disabled anywhere you see it.

For the system log, on the System Log screen, click Check System Log. You'll probably get a Windows dialog for the location to save the log file.

Deccas
Level 3

Hi David

I have been unable to follow up on this problem for the last week or so until tonight.

I have posted a screen shot of the error message when using the wizard without being connected to the NBN router.  I get a different error message this time.

I have also posted the system log here https://file.io/PKk0Qy9SJpVv (if there is a better way to post this please let me know as the site restricts attachment of text files.  The time is wrong as it cannot connect to the internet to update itself - I have attached a screen shot of the router's time straight after a factory reset and a wizard installation connected to the NBN router.

I hope this provides a clue as to what is going on.

Thanks for your continued assistance.

D.