TPG Community

Get online support

HFC & 5G drop outs

SOLVED Go to solution
JakeRichards
Level 3
Hello

I'm starting to have a number of connection issues that have been getting worse over time.

It started with wifi 5g devices (phones & laptops) loosing connection for 5-10min but all ethernet devices (tv,ps4,cctv) had no problems. This will happen 2-3 times a day.

Over the last week it's now having complete dropouts on all devices. Most of the time the HG659 lights show it has restarted (I believe it's restarted as even LAN lights go out, if it had just lost the NBN the LAN should still be active). This seems to be happening once a day.

Now I have seen over the last two days the Arris lights all go out apart from the power.

I have tried checking the HG659 log file but it seem to have wiped itself yesterday. As of this morning it has showed six disconnected/connected cycles.

Could you please advise what I should try?

Thanks

Jake
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joseph_D

Hi Jake,

Got it. Modem is shipped out today.

Cheers,

Joseph D

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JakeRichards
Level 3
Some more information.

I've caught the wifi issue again. This time multiple devices can't connect on either 2.4 or 5. They will sometimes connect but have no internet. When they do connect I can't login to the modem to check the log files. After 5-10 minutes everything returns to normal and the log files show no issues.
JakeRichards
Level 3
Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers
Shane

Hi @JakeRichards,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us. Dropouts usually occur on device(s) connected on 5G Wi-Fi due to compatibility of the device.

There is an article about difference of 2.4GHz and 5G available here.

We also did an article on how to improve your wireless connection available on these links.

Let us know how it will go.

JakeRichards
Level 3
Please read my post in full, the wifi is not the only issue.

When the wifi issue happens all devices on both 2.4 / 5 drop out at the exact same time and reconnect at the same time. If you can enlighten me to how all my devices decide to have compatibility issues at the same time I would be very happy.

Also it doesn't explain why the HG659 is resetting causing the LAN issue or the Aaris dropping out.

Thanks

Jake
BasilDV

Hi @JakeRichards,

We've checked the account and learned that there was an outage within the NBN network which affected your service. Their initial investigation indicates signal issues at a tap.

The attending field technician replaced the faulty optical receiver, which restored normal service to the end users.

We can now detect that your service has been stable for almost 2 days now.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

JakeRichards
Level 3
Hello

Thank you for looking into the the Arris connection issue, hopefully that part will be solved.

Can we please now focus on the other two issues I asked about:
1: Wifi intermittently dropping out. Usually happens for 5-10min, sometimes within that period I can connect but have no internet access and cannot log into the HG659 to see settings/logs. I have confirmed this is happening on all 2.4/5 devices that are connected & at the same time. I have checked that no other devices (microwaves/cordless phones) are on or plugged in and the wifi channels are clear of other wifi signals.

2: LAN randomly dropping out followed by what I think is the HG659 resetting. The unit will only have the power light on, then followed by the rest as it connects. I'm not sure if it's related but occasion the log files were deleted aswell.

I believe both issues to be separate from the line issue that was fixed as it has no bearing on my LAN/Wifi. Both should still be active and only loose access to the internet and not disconnect devices.

Thanks for your time.

Jake
Joseph_D

Hi Jake,

From your description I think trying a different modem may help. Can you PM me with your preferred delivery address?

Kind regards,

Joseph D

JakeRichards
Level 3
Hello

Thank you for your response. I have sent you a PM with my address details.

Thanks

Jake
Joseph_D

Hi Jake,

Got it. Modem is shipped out today.

Cheers,

Joseph D