TPG Community

Get online support

How to get Xbox Live working on TP Link Routers

DaveT
Level 3
currently my NAT is moderate. I also noticed that its using port 56289. Normally its 3074
DaveT
Level 3
I noticed that I hadn’t given the error codes. Basically I cannot sign into xbox live, so I have no online features through my xbox when using a ethernet cable.
After my xbox thinking for 5minutes I get:
“You’ll need the internet for this. 0x800704cf”

This is a real pain in the ass for online shooters. I do not want to use wifi. Please resolve this issue, or I will be returning the router for a refund, and continue using my netgear D7000 which runs perfectly. Thank you
BasilDV

Hi @DaveT,

The modem that we've provided on our NBN service is for free, so the refund will not be possible.

You may use your own modem/router, but the home phone will not work if you are in an FTTN/FTTC/FTTB/HFC technology since the VoIP settings is embedded in its firmware.

Our network Engineers are still investigating this concern and will provide updates once available.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

DaveT
Level 3
Hi it looks like this issue has been around for a while now. Have the engineers found anything? Can you replicate the problem? thanks
Shane

Hi All,

The Xbox is getting a new IP every time they reconnect.

There is 2 ways to fix this.

•  Disable DHCP on the Xbox and enter a static IP and specify the DNS servers. This IP should be entered in the DMZ of the modem.

• Reserve an IP address for the Xbox in the LAN settings and leave the Xbox so still gets an IP via DHCP. See below:

Just connect the Xbox and check the MAC in the client list under the Network -> LAN settings:

image002.png

image003.png

Under Address Reservation on the same page

image004.png

Then add the IP address in the DMZ:

image005.png

If using a different IP when setting this up, you will need to restart the Xbox and the Modem so both release the existing IP address that is leased.

DaveT
Level 3
Thank you very much for your help. Ill give it a go.
DaveT
Level 3
Unfortunately this did not correct the issue. I did option 2.
Clowndamage
Level 3
I have already tried option one and this also doesn't work
Gryph
Level 3
Don't know where these "fixes" came from, I had tested it this way previously and didn't work for me.
Riezl

Hi @Gryph, we can see that you are on a Dynamic IP plan. This is normal behaviour. When the modem reboots, their WAN IP will change and Xbox will need to re-establish its session to Xbox live. This is normal for any authenticated ott service not just xbox (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Video, Stan etc).

Your connection looks very stable at the moment. How often do you reboot the modem?

@DaveT and @Clowndamage, if you could PM us your TPG customer ID, username and address, we'd like to also check the status of your connection.