TPG Community

Get online support

Is second-gen NBN box to be replaced? Or is this a scam?

RMS1
Level 4

Hi,

I have an NBN Cable Broadband SL Bundle Standard plan with TPG.  I recently changed address and took my existing home phone number across to my new address.  Everything is working as it should.

Today I received a phone call to my home phone number, claiming to be from a Telstra representative.  He told me my NBN box was an old second-generation box, it would soon not work, and was going to be replaced.  He said a technician would arrive at my address to make the replacement.

I was inclined not to believe him, mainly because Telstra is not my internet provider.  I also thought that if the NBN box was to be replaced, I would first be notified by TPG, as it is my provider.  He insisted that Telstra and NBN were partners, and that I had to organise with him to arrange for a technician to visit.  He also had my address listed as the address I moved from about two months ago.  He had no record of my present address.  He asked for my present address and I refused to tell him.

I would like to know if this was a scam phone call, or whether the NBN box is to be replaced, and if so, should TPG, not Telstra, be organising this and notifying its customers

Thanks,

RMS1

4 REPLIES 4
kate_

Hey @RMS1, we want to check out if this phone call was legit.

If you send me PM, we'll grab your details and see if your NBN box is set to be replaced.

RMS1
Level 4

I am going round and round in circles trying to PM you.  How do I do it?

RMS1
Level 4

I've tried to PM to @kate_ 

Don't know if I succeeded as had to copy and paste.  Could not find a way to PM the topic directly.  Do not know what details to provide.  If my NBN box needs to be replaced, I need to know about it before it stops working.

Thanks,

RMS1

david64
Master

Hi @RMS1 . Send your account number to moderator via private message. They can locate your connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Welcome/How-do-I-private-message-PM-in-the-community/m-p/4093

Include your NBN connection type (FTTC, HFC, ...). 

A technician would only be required if you have FTTP. The other NBN types are user replaceable.

The email notification from Community is not working. You need to check here from time to time to see if there is an update.