TPG Community

Get online support

Missing VPN Setup on Archer VR1600v v2

SOLVED Go to solution
Shane

Hi All,

In the best interests of our network and customer security, our vendor and security team have chosen to disable the VPN Server functionality on the TPLink VR1600

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server which will address your needs.

Regards,

curtis192
Level 3
What you are suggesting disables the ability to have all devices on site connect via VPN without each device having a seperate configuration.

Where was the warning that this was being disabled?

Bye bye TPG!
loada
Level 2
Hi Shane

This is disappointing that TPG elected to remove a useful feature. Can you please elaborate on the security concerns with the VPN feature?

Also, can you please confirm whether a third party router which does support VPN (eg netgear r7000) can be used instead of the Archer?

Thanks

James
Shane

Hi @loada,

You may use any 3rd party modem/router that supports VPN feature as long as its VDSL / NBN ready and use VLAN ID 2 it should work, we just like to set your expectation that, we provide the modem for all our NBN plans as they are sold as an Internet & Home Phone Bundle. As the Home Phone component of your bundle is encrypted for security, you will need to use our modem if you are to make and receive phone calls.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Shane

This is disappointing that TPG elected to remove a useful feature. Can you please elaborate on the security concerns with the VPN feature?

Also, can you please confirm whether a third party router which does support VPN (eg netgear r7000) can be used instead of the Archer?

Thanks

James
RLK
Level 3
Level 3

I also was using Open VPN on my VR1600 Router.  Very useful feature (and indeed posted an aricle in the community forum to use the VPN to remote boot a PC and login with remote desktop.

I would like to see the VPN option re installed to my router.  I spoke with support last night and they seggested a factory reset. After reading this post I would have been very angry to do a factory reset, reload all my seetings to find I did not fix the problem.

Come on TPG - can do better.  I have been a TPG customer since the "Dial Up" days.

Shane

Hi @RLK,

We appreciate your feedback, we'll take this into account.

Regards,

I also was using Open VPN on my VR1600 Router.  Very useful feature (and indeed posted an aricle in the community forum to use the VPN to remote boot a PC and login with remote desktop.

I would like to see the VPN option re installed to my router.  I spoke with support last night and they seggested a factory reset. After reading this post I would have been very angry to do a factory reset, reload all my seetings to find I did not fix the problem.

Come on TPG - can do better.  I have been a TPG customer since the "Dial Up" days.

workinhard
Level 2

I have been using the VPN option to enable me to work from home because of COVID etc. It worked perfectly allowing me to use remote desktop to work on my work PC. I had to use IPSec as I couldn't get OpenVPN to work but with IPSec it worked great until last Wednesday morning. I am guessing something to do with the storms caused a reset or something and now the VPN just won't connect from home.

I thought I was loosing it when I couldn't find the menu option to reset the configuration. Fortunately I found this thread while I was talking to a support rep on the phone who was trying to tell me it was all TP Link's fault. When I told him I found this thread he then proceeded to tell me that this community was out of TPG's control and wasn't correct.

**, I recommended TPG to my boss, big mistake. I don't think we can use an alternate modem either as we are using the Bizphones. Does anyone have any options or workarounds for this as it doesn't appear TPG are interested in providing any solutions. Cheers

chelsea999
Level 3

Hi,

It seems your technical support staff have no idea that was taken out from as a function in the VR1600.  Connecting to VPN PPTP server port 1723 has been allowed by TPG for many years.  Can anyone verify that this port is NOT blocked by TPG firewall?  From internet, there's no reply when telneting to port 1723.

I am on HFC NBN.  My relative who is on TPG FTTC has no problems in connecting from internet to his home via VPN PPTP on the VR1600.  Can telnet to port 1723 from internet. 

Can someone from the TPG networking team please investigate this as your 1st line support has no idea.  I have been on numerous calls with them and all I get is runarounds.

Thanks.

Regards,

Raymond

BasilDV

Hi @chelsea999

Welcome to the Community!

We tried to locate your account using your community details to no avail.

Does your friend that is on TPG NBN FTTC, uses a different port compared to yours? If both of you uses the same 1723 port, then that means that there's no issues or it is not blocked.

Have you contacted your VPN provider to check if there's any changes or if you need to update your settings?

What troubleshooting have you done so far? When did the issue start?

Please send me a PM as well with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV

chelsea999
Level 3
Hi Basil,

I have sent a PM in regards to my TPG account.

As for the VPN. It is a VPN server in Tplink VR1600 modem provided by TPG. All is needed is to enable the server and create a user in the admin page and make a connection. I use this VPN PPTP server to connect back to my home network. Thus this is an incoming internet connection. Not an outgoing connection that you would normally connect like "ExpressVPN" or "NORDVPN".