TPG Community

Get online support

Missing VPN Setup on Archer VR1600v v2

SOLVED Go to solution
davewinf
Level 2

@Shane wrote:

Hi @davewinf,

In the best interests of our network and customer security, our vendor and security team have chosen to disable the VPN Server functionality on the TPLink VR1600

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server which will address your needs.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply Shane,

I don't see that removing a useful functionality that actually makes my network SAFER is an improvement.

I received no notification of this impending change in order to investigate an alternative solution, which is very disappointing (and unprofessional, in my opinion).

I would prefer this functionality be reinstated please, would you advise how that will occur?

Many thanks,

Dave

david64
Level 15

Hi Shane.

That's a bit of a brush-off to users who use the VPN function. There are a few threads recently about the VPN option going missing.

How does the VPN option affect "network and customer security"? 

And who is "our vendor" who took part in that decision?

When the issue of the missing VPN option was raised, even you did not know the reason.

VPN is just a variation on port forwarding. There have been threads recently about TPG blocking some ports. TPG said there was an issue with people trying to hack the VOIP function. TPG suggested to use ports in the range 30000-40000. 

Is the VOIP hacking issue caused by TPG using dynamic ip addresses on NBN rather than static addresses used on ADSL connections?

Have the restrictions on port forwarding been removed?

gracile
Level 3

Alas I thnk they have us over a barrel.   We could raise a complaint,  but the counter would be that they "have detmerined it to be a security risk"  and it is not a substantial par of their service.   Also,  we would have to show which documents described this feature that we relied on in their original "offer" that caused us to go with them.

I think the best way is to vote with our feet and go elsewhere.

jadeopia
Level 2

This is extremely frustrating. Businesses rely on VPN's so their Systems Administrators can have remote access to their servers. If a server is running virtualisation you cant just add third party software to access ESXi. Your service is a huge joke for doing this. You have crippled businesses and cost them a lot of money in IT man hours. I'm sure these businesses will hit you with the cost of your incompetence TPG. I will never recommend you to my clients. TPG Do you not realise that only customers that know what theyre doing set up a VPN in this way? It doesnt make your network safer at all. I'm recommending my customer switches to another provider and I'm also switching my own internet away from you.

miscnbn1
Level 2

This is not in our best interests, the Open VPN feature was very very useful 

and for TPG to remove this feature with no warning is not in the best interests of the customer that were using this function of the modem! and to now expect us to have to setup this function at extra cost to the customer is also not good! TPG need to offere us a image of the firmware that allow this option else its time to move providers 

"In the best interests of our network and customer security, our vendor and security team have chosen to disable the VPN Server functionality on the TPLink VR1600

If you wish to use VPN server functionality, we recommend you install 3rd party software on your PC/server which will address your needs. "

tabo
Level 2

This is infuriating.

I need a router to router VPN with my customer so that I can access devices on their LAN and vica versa. In order to establish the VPN securely, they require that I have a static IP address.

When I switched from ASDL to NBN, I could no longer use my former router because it did not support the VDSL. I did note that the Archer VR1600v had VPN configuration that was adequate, but I needed a static IP address. So I just finished upgrading my plan to a business plan, and now the VPN option has been removed.

So, that leaves me with two options:

1. Third party modem. My home phone is served by the Archer 1600v. Will it be possible to use it with a third party modem? If not, can I run a third party model in parallel with the Archer 1600v so that it can still provide the VoIP service?

2. Switch providers. Researching now. (TPG customer since 1999)

Please advise.

noqualms
Level 2

@tabo wrote:

This is infuriating.

I need a router to router VPN with my customer so that I can access devices on their LAN and vica versa. In order to establish the VPN securely, they require that I have a static IP address.

When I switched from ASDL to NBN, I could no longer use my former router because it did not support the VDSL. I did note that the Archer VR1600v had VPN configuration that was adequate, but I needed a static IP address. So I just finished upgrading my plan to a business plan, and now the VPN option has been removed.

So, that leaves me with two options:

1. Third party modem. My home phone is served by the Archer 1600v. Will it be possible to use it with a third party modem? If not, can I run a third party model in parallel with the Archer 1600v so that it can still provide the VoIP service?

2. Switch providers. Researching now. (TPG customer since 1999)

Please advise.

I have also been stung with this. I've only just switch to NBN after 18 years of using iiNet DSL - so it's not just "TPG" customers.

I got, what I thought was *my* modem after a transaction, only to find that it's apparently their modem.

Literally 30 hours, before I leave on holiday, needing either VPN or remote port remapping into my home network, I've discovered this has been disabled.

Unlike the old toolbox days where I could turn off / on port blocking or change line speed profiles for latencies, there appears to be no control for this.

I'm astounded, my mind is blown at the audacity of this move.     For 5 years, I've had geeks, nerds, friends and colleagues whine about iiNet to me and I've said "look it's been fine for me since TPG bought them" and I've really had no issues.    Now look at my situation.   No way to get into the home network, I fly out in 18 hours, I don't have time to research an alternative.

Remotely disabling features, is frankly, disgusting.  I'm apalled.

18 year customer this year and I'm asking friends for reference codes to other ISPs.   Who on earth signed off on this stupidity?

catan
Level 3
This is a frankly ludicrous decision.

How does disabling the option to run a VPN from hardware decrease a security risk? That 99%+ of people who would be able to implement it wouldn't also be aware of said "risk"?

I've the same router and would like this feature back. At least provide us with a firmware solution so that those of us who want the feature can implement it.
gracile
Level 3

Over the Xmas period (when no-one was using the internet connection)  I got around  to replacing the old Archer router and installing a newer, faster,  more functional and VPN-enabled router!!

Wokrs like a dream.  I can VPN into the site at any time for troubleshooting  and siply monitoring the environment,  knwoing that the VPN will offer a high level of security!!

I now have Archer VR1600v v2 whihc I can use to prop up that wonky table.

gbartlett28
Level 2

I had a VPN set up. I don't use it often, but when I do it needs to work because I'm not at home to fix things.

I don't recall a notice from TPG saying that the VPN functionality was scheduled to be disabled.

I want to know, under the terms of my contract with TPG, who owns my modem? If I own it, then surely TPG should not be disabling functionality without asking me.

Your solution of using third-party VPN means that I need to buy additional hardware.

What do you have to say?