TPG Community

Get online support

NBN 50 plan appears to be a scam

NBNsceptic
Level 2

I was promised a typical evening speed of 42.6MB/s and over the last two nights its been closer to 12-15MB/s.  Has anyone else been misled and suffering from overpromise and underdelivery?  I would like to know.  I will be monitoring over the ensuing month to gather evidence.  The speed I'm getting is reasonable but I have paid for next level so I expect NEXT LEVEL.

2 REPLIES 2
Ahra_G

Hi @NBNsceptic

Welcome to the Community! 

TPG is a reseller of NBNco therefore, we have to operate within the constraints of the NBN network. There could be a couple of reasons why the speeds you're getting may be lower than the plan you're subscribed to.

Moreover, we do not have guaranteed speed on NBN, however, speeds outside of the typical evening period should be on par or better as there are typically less active users on the network. The actual speeds for the service may be slower and vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users, and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. If you're getting slow speeds, we will always look to review and troubleshoot each connection.

Let us have your Customer ID or username via private message so we can check what can be done to improve your speeds.

Regards,

Ahra_G

NBNsceptic
Level 2

I am happy to go online and retract what I said earlier about the NBN 50 plan.  After some testing and research of my own, I discovered that the actual problem of slower than expected speed was due to a wifi extender.  When connected by wifi to the TPG router, I achieved close to the expected speed of 42MB/s.  As soon as I connected to the wifi extender, the speed reduced by about 2/3.  I went on to discover that wifi extenders are really a scam and not the TPG service.  I'll bet very few people know that one cannot achieve any better than half the speed of the modem you are linked to because the wifi entender has to use at least half its bandwidth to receive signals, and then the balance of bandwidth it uses to transmit.  Therefore, one can never get better than half the speed of the router it is connected to!

I have now decided best approach to extend signal from modem in a large house is to hardwire a router.