TPG Community

Get online support

NBN High ping, lag spikes in online games, ultra-low download speeds after 18 months of working fine

jeanlucb
Level 2

Hi, I have the fastest available NBN plan with advertised "80mbps evening speeds". Previously I was getting close to this, and my ping in online games would be in the range of 25-35ms which is acceptable. 

Over the last 4 months, the internet has become increasingly unreliable. In the last week its bordering on unuseable for online games. Cutting out entirely for ten minutes at a time, ping in the range of 60ms which is insanely high within an inner city on the NBN. The worst is constant ping spikes and micro cutouts that seem to occur multiple times a minute, the ping can occassionally jump 30-40ms randomly for a few minutes and jump back again. 

The download and upload speeds are also down massively, using the TPG speed checker multiple times in the last few days I'm getting around 4mbps download 1.5mbps upload. Feels like I'm on ADSL.

The most annoying part is that for over a year the service seemed exepctional. This year its become useable most of the time but unreliable, at this point there's clearly something wrong. Obviously I have tried the normal resetting of the Modem from my PC, directly at the modem, at the power etc. Moved the modem to check for signal issues etc. No luck.

TPG account name is Jeanlucb if that helps.

3 REPLIES 3
david64
Level 15

Hi jeanlucb.

Another user is having ping spikes.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Broadband-Internet/Major-PING-spikes-throughout-the-day/m-p/73076

Is your game device using ethernet or wifi?
If wifi, does it happen on both wifi bands? Can you try ethernet connection?

Any chance of interference inside your house or from neighbouring networks?

Connor350
Level 2
I have the same problem I just got the nbn 2 weeks ago
BasilDV

Hi @Connor350

Thanks for raising this with us.

We tried to search for your account using your community details to no avail.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to assist you accordingly.

BasilDV