TPG Community

Get online support

NBN Modem failed after lightning

ChrisWalsh
Level 3

Hello. 

After a storm, my NBN modem has suffered some surge and now no longer works. There are no LEDs on the modem. Power has been removed and re-apply as well as the power supply being removed from the socket and re-plugged in. 

I have raised a case but there is no action on it. I need to organise a replacement. 

12 REPLIES 12
emmeff
Level 2

I have the same issue - my NBN box appears to have died after nearby lightning strikes during an intense thunderstorm yesterday. No other devices on the same powerboard were affected, however.

I plan to try a replacement power pack (12v/1.5A) first of all, but I have not found it easy to locate one from the usual suppliers. If the power pack is not the issue can I pick up a new NBN box somewhere in the east of Sydney?

ChrisWalsh
Level 3

I also had several items plugged into the same power board. 

My power pack still have 12V on it. 

This isn't the first time this has happened in the same way. 

The box must be installed by a technition as the modem has to be registered to the network. 

BasilDV

Hi @ChrisWalsh @emmeff 

We're keen to take a closer look at your account and sort things out for you.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

10nordstrom
Level 2

same problem for me, same lack of response, same delay in getting back online properly. Its a well known issue with the FTTC NCDs, the phone line connection isn't protected, and the box gets fried by lighting. its a design fault. Lightning storms are not new for sydney (or Australia).  

Still takes NBN (and TPG) days to fix it, in the mioddle of Australias largst city. What a joke, particularly as this is an issue that the consumer cant do anything about. NBN wont speak to us directly, and TPG has to action it for us, and both their comms and responses are AWOL. 

BasilDV

We'd like to have a better understanding of the situation and see how can we help @10nordstrom

Just send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

minhnhon
Level 2

Hi Chriswalsh,

we were in the same boat. Last Wednesday 14/02/2024, a giant lightening and thunderstorm happenned in my Sefton area. It killed my Tp-link router commpletely no LED at all. The nbn modem was still LED on the power but blinking red at the connection image and made noise. It was a time taken to have a chance to talk to the technical support team. I got it at the  day 10th, the Team send me a Tp-link router VX220-G2v. A new router arrived to my home but still "no internet connection". It takes time to report to TPG Tech Team. They arrange a technician from NBN to visit and fix the issue. This morning 26/02/2024 the NBN technician came and replace the NBN modem box, no red light blinking but also no internet. He tested the nbn cable on the walkway in-front the house, and the problem was resolved.

This afternoon I realised the TPG home phone doesn't work! The phone issue has been reported to TPG tech team. I am waiting for the support of Tech team.

Good luck.

BasilDV

Hi @minhnhon

How's your VoIP service? Was it restored?

Since receiving a new modem/router, we might need t update the account with its details.

Let us know if you still need assistance and will process it for you.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

minhnhon
Level 2

Hi Basil,

Thank you for your support. I havesent a PM to your mailbox.

Kind regards,

Minh Ha

minhnhon
Level 2

Hi Basil,

My home phone is not restored yet.
I have sent a PM to BasilDV. Hopefully, my first time sending PM is correct procedure. Let me know if there is something that I have not provided yet then I will fill in.

Regards, Minh.