TPG Community

Get online support

NBN dropping out constantly

SimonT
Level 2
Hi there,

I have recently had to open a new tpg account, and I have had nothing but connection issues ever since. The modem drops out from the internet multiple times per day and everytime I call customer support I get the same questions and I give the same answers and nothing gets solved.

For a bit of background, my brother was previously living here and we had tpg nbn without any issues for 2 years, he left and so I opened a new account (with new router). I’m wondering if the new router is the likely culprit given there was no issues with my brothers tpg account at the same house?

What’s my best bet to troubleshoot?

Thanks,
Simon
4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi Simon.

What type of NBN connection do you have? (What type of NBN box?)

When you have a dropout, what happens to the lights on the NBN box and wifi router?

Does it affect ethernet devices and/or wifi devices?

SimonT
Level 2
Hi David,

Thanks for your response.

I believe we have FTTN with whatever the tpg-link modem that is supplied (will have to wait until I’m home later to provide actual model number).

Majority of the time the internet light will go out completely during a drop, however, it appears we have also been having wifi only issues on occasion as well. All in all nothing but issues!

Cheers,
Simon
david64
Level 15

Hi Simon.  If the DSL light on router is lit during normal operation and goes off or flashes when internet drops, indicates a problem maybe with copper wiring or in NBN network. Job for a moderator.

Regarding the wifi, when you have a problem with it, can you check if the signal strength at the router is the same. If router is faulty, the wifi might drop out from time to time. 

Otherwise, it might be interference. Here are some articles.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why...

TomTam
Level 2

SimonT, David.... I have found from research and experience, that modem problems cannot be ruled out, even when the DSL light is on. Your best bet is to keep persisting until a TPG technician is sent out. He/she will test your phone line and if the UL/DL speeds are good, the problem is likely your modem. Of course, you can have a good day with your copper, but my experience with NBN is that they will not bother until you/TPG say you both have ruled out modem, internal cabling and ISP issues.