TPG Community

Get online support

NBN internet IP address changes all the time

TJ_Zhang
Level 2

Hi there, 

As of a couple of weeks ago, the IP address on my NBN has been constantly changing up to the point where sometimes it locates us in QLD rather than NSW. This makes a difference to us for the TV signals we are getting access to. How can I change it so that it's stable in NSW? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @TJ_Zhang,

Welcome to the community!

Our NBN residential plan comes with Dynamic IP Address. Currently, TPG do not have plans in offering Static IP address for residential account.

For now, the only way to get a Static IP Address is by signing up with NBN Business.

Hope this answers your query.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

Hi there, 

As of a couple of weeks ago, the IP address on my NBN has been constantly changing up to the point where sometimes it locates us in QLD rather than NSW. This makes a difference to us for the TV signals we are getting access to. How can I change it so that it's stable in NSW? 

Thanks

david64
Level 15

Hi @TJ_Zhang . The question to ask TPG is why your ip address changes so often. Even if your ip address is dynamic, it should only change if there is some connection failure. This could be a blackout at home or failure in NBN network or TPG network. If nothing like that happens, your ip address should stay same. Your router shows your public ip address.

The next question for TPG is do they organise their ip address pools geographically. You are having trouble with this as you get NSW or QLD addresses. Do you happen to live near the border?

If you solve the problem of address changing so often, you can just turn the router off and on to get a suitable ip address.

TJ_Zhang
Level 2

100%. Thanks for the guidance David. 

TJ_Zhang
Level 2

Hi @Shane,

Thanks for the response however as per David64's post below, I am questioning why the IP address changes so often. 

For example, in the morning it'll detect me as NSW and at night, it'll be QLD which just does not make sense. How can this be happening so often without a breakdown in internet connection? Additionally, how can we solve this? 

Thanks

BasilDV

Hi @TJ_Zhang

Thanks for the clarification.

Please send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check on this further.

How do I private message (PM) in the community

BasilDV