TPG Community

Get online support

New NBN100 FTTP keeps dropping out

mkchong27
Level 2
I have just upgraded to 100mbps FTTP. The connecrionto 2.4ghz and 5ghz is not stable, dropping out frequently. The performance is not as good as my previous NBN 50 FTTN connection. Not sure what is happening. I am connected to FTTP via TP-Link VX220-G2v modem router unit. Could it be modem router issue? Your assistance is much appreciated. Thanks. MK
9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @mkchong27 . When you had FTTN, where was the VX220 in your house?

Now on FTTP, where is the NBN box and VX220? Is it further away from where you use your wifi devices?

Has the wifi signal strength decreased from when you had FTTN?

Do you have ethernet computer? Any internet dropouts on it?

mkchong27
Level 2
When you had FTTN, where was the VX220 in your house?
- In the dining area with the family hall but with TP-link Archer not VX220

Now on FTTP, where is the NBN box and VX220? Is it further away from where you use your wifi devices?
- Both in the same area but now located in the guest hall separated from the dining & family area

Has the wifi signal strength decreased from when you had FTTN?
- With FTTN on a NBN50 Mbps, the signal is not strong. That's the reason for upgrading to FTTP NBN 100. With FTTN NBN100, the signal is strong but it appears unstable.

Do you have ethernet computer? Any internet dropouts on it?
- the duration is too short to know for certain as it's not practical to have it monitored for a long period of time, unlike mobile & tv box
david64
Level 15

@mkchong27 . Signal strength is determined by the router, not the connection type.

Does the VX220 have a System Log? Look for messages with PPP to see if the WAN link is dropping.

Is it possible to move the router to a more convenient place? Use a CAT6 ethernet cable from NBN box to router.

Do your wifi devices detect other wifi networks with strong signals? There could be some interference.

Ahra_G

Hi @mkchong27

We agree on @david64's advise that signal strength is determined by the router, not the connection type but we'd also like to check the status of your connection.

Send us a private message if the issue is persistent. 

-Ahra_G 

mkchong27
Level 2

@mkchong27 . Signal strength is determined by the router, not the connection type.

- true. but if the connection type is unstabe, would it not affect the signal received by the modem / router?

It is highly likely that the modem / router is giving the problem? 

Does the VX220 have a System Log? Look for messages with PPP to see if the WAN link is dropping.

- I looked at the log but don't know how to interpret it. Don't see "PPP" but "DHCPD" under "Type". The log has many pages

Is it possible to move the router to a more convenient place? Use a CAT6 ethernet cable from NBN box to router.

- I have tried moving out from the room where the NBN box is located to the other area where the devices are, but it did not help.

Do your wifi devices detect other wifi networks with strong signals? There could be some interference.

- There are other wifi networks in the area but not that many. Even when there are ony 1 or 2 wifi networks detected, it does lags / buffering if not drops out (it's difficult to predict, sometimes it doesn't drop out/lag for hours!, though live connections via tvbox is deintiely lagging)

david64
Level 15

@mkchong27 . The DHCPD messages are normal operation of the DHCP server allocating ip addresses, but could still conceal a problem.

Are you getting messages like these at the time of dropout?

System: EWAN link down
PPP: ppp3 User request
PPP: ppp3 LCP down
PPP: ppp3 sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "User request"]
PPP: ppp3 sent [LCP TermReq id=0x4 "User request"]
PPP: ppp3 rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x4]
System: EWAN link up 1000 mbps

Do you have an ethernet computer or wifi laptop? It can be used to check the network stability.

mkchong27
Level 2

This is the information from the modem / router log

"Send ACK to..."

"Recv REQUEST from ..."

"Recv INFORM from ..."

"Send OFFER with ip ..."

Just got dropped out again from 5-Ghz... but can ony connect to 2.4Ghz manually

It's just unpredictabe & mind boggling to me

david64
Level 15

@mkchong27 . The DHCPD messages Discover, Offer, Request, Ack is the normal sequence for a device to get an ip address. When the device renews the lease, there will be Request, Ack.

What down and up speeds do you get on the ethernet computer running speedtest on TPG support page?

You can use the ethernet computer to monitor the external network.

In a command window, do    tracert -h 3 tpg.com.au

The second address (10... address) is other side of NBN network.

Do     ping -t    the 10 address.

When you get problem on wifi, check that this is still going-no timeouts.

If the external network is ok, you can use the computer to ping the wifi device.

If you get disconnect from 5 GHz but 2.4 GHz is still ok, sounds like either weak signal or interference.

On 2.4 band, you can set the channel to 1 or 6 or 11 to reduce interference.

If you have a wifi laptop, you can use it to check on signal strength around your house.

adamp4285
Level 2
Hi I am having the same issues what was the fix please?