TPG Community

Get online support

Not enough bandwidth

SOLVED Go to solution
bloomfield78
Level 2

Hi Team

I am contracted on 100/40 nbn and I have two issues

Firstly my speed currently average 90+mbps which is close enough to advertised speed, but the modem TPG supplied me barely gets to 60mbps. I have notcied you now supply upgraded modem that is dual band, will this fix my issue? and if so how can i get new one at no cost since the previous one supplied to me does not fit my purpose.

Secondly I can stream services no problems during non peak hours but come 5pm continuous buffering.  I have called TPG before and all they want to know is what im streaming and blaming the services I use, if this was the case wouldnt I get issues all day long.  As far as im concerned TPG is not buying enough bandwidth, if this contunies or there is not a fix Ill be forced to take this matter further.

Looking forward to hearing solutions that work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MarN

Firstly my speed currently average 90+mbps which is close enough to advertised speed, but the modem TPG supplied me barely gets to 60mbps.

Does this mean you are getting 90+ Mbps from a computer wired to the modem and 60 Mbps for a wireless connection? The wifi will be inherently lower due to additional factors that will affect the speed like interference from other wireless devices within range.

I have notcied you now supply upgraded modem that is dual band, will this fix my issue? and if so how can i get new one at no cost since the previous one supplied to me does not fit my purpose.

This will not guarantee that you will get a better wireless speed. Besides, the free modem can only be replaced under warranty if found to be defective. Being not fit for purpose is not one of them. I suggest you troubleshoot the wifi issue to determine if the speed can still be improved.

come 5pm continuous buffering.

What speed are you getting after 5 PM? It will still be within specifications if the speed is between 12 - 100 Mbps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
MarN

Firstly my speed currently average 90+mbps which is close enough to advertised speed, but the modem TPG supplied me barely gets to 60mbps.

Does this mean you are getting 90+ Mbps from a computer wired to the modem and 60 Mbps for a wireless connection? The wifi will be inherently lower due to additional factors that will affect the speed like interference from other wireless devices within range.

I have notcied you now supply upgraded modem that is dual band, will this fix my issue? and if so how can i get new one at no cost since the previous one supplied to me does not fit my purpose.

This will not guarantee that you will get a better wireless speed. Besides, the free modem can only be replaced under warranty if found to be defective. Being not fit for purpose is not one of them. I suggest you troubleshoot the wifi issue to determine if the speed can still be improved.

come 5pm continuous buffering.

What speed are you getting after 5 PM? It will still be within specifications if the speed is between 12 - 100 Mbps.

bloomfield78
Level 2

I understand that the wireless connection maybe be slightly slower but 30mbps slower? That has to be unacceptable, so i tried a friends modem and no loss so speed.  TPG modem supplied obviously can not supply 100mbps via wireless.  Can anybody say otherwise?

My speed after 5pm does flucuate but never goes below 80mbps, therefore i should be able to stream live tv without any issues.  I live in clarkson, maybe you can check if there is any congestion at the exchange? or have any theories? 

WayneR
Staff
Wireless is a beast. I was able to obtain 90+ on my AC wireless connection with duel band at 5ghz

What modem do you have? Does it support AC? Sounds like your using wireless G or maybe your adapter is only G not AC

Food for thought

Wayne
bloomfield78
Level 2

netcomm wireless nf12

2.4gh only

what settings change i change?, very basic modem

Hardy
Level 2
Did you manage to get a fix for this issue ?
bloomfield78
Level 2
A technician came out and ran some tests on modem and nbn box. Made some changes , getting a consistent ping of 3 or 4ms . Seems to be better.