TPG Community

Get online support

Proxy settings for TPG

jluxford
Level 2

Can anyone tell me where I can find the proxy details for TPG please?

I have a HP T120 DesignJet plotter that wants the proxy details before it will connect to the Internet to do firmware/software updates.  The T 120 is connected by Wi-Fi to the TPG Archer VR1600v modem/router.

I’ve searched the TPG general settings page in the support section and cannot find any mention of proxy settings.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Joe

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Hi @jluxford . Could you provide a picture of the config screen asking for proxy address. It is not clear from the manual that it needs one.

Also, the printer's MAC address should be given a reserved ip address so it doesn't change over restarts.

jluxford
Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've appended a file with the series of screens that appear on the T120 printer's front panel when I attempt to connect the printer to the internet.  I'm trying to do that to take advantage of the various web services that HP provide for the printer.  The main one I'm trying to access at this point is updating the firmware.  Then I want to access the e printing function.

Any help you can give me will be very appreciated.

jluxford
Level 2

I forgot to add this info to my earlier post:  These notes are from a discussion on the HP community forum about connecting HP printers tot he internet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some network setup, proxy settings may need to be configured on the printer to enable connection to the Internet.

1. Make sure the printer is on a network and must have an IP address assigned by a Network Router or a DHCP server. Alternatively, you may also configure the printer to use a static IP address.  Check and retrieve the IP address of the printer from the Home Screen menu selection: Network -> View Network Summary -> View Wired (or View Wireless)  or Setup -> Network > View Network Summary (depending on printer model)

2. In a web browser on your computer, type the IP address or hostname that has been assigned to your printer.

3. Go to the Network Tab > Proxy Settings and enter the proxy settings into the fields and click Apply button.  You may have to check with your ISP or IT Administrator for the correct Proxy Setting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the steps above gets me to the Proxy Settings page where details can be entered fo the Proxy Server, its port and user name & password for authentication. 

At the bottom of the screen is this advice:

"Note: For some networks, you may need to contact your Internet service provider (ISP) for the proxy server address."

Which lead to my original quest to find out the proxy server address from my ISP - which in this case is TPG.

david64
Level 15

@jluxford . Are you accessing the printer by its 192.168.1.x address? If so, it has all the info (DNS, default gateway) it needs to find the HP website for updates. I don't see why it needs a proxy.

If HP can't give a better explanation regarding proxy, see what TPG say.

klauswoolhouse
Level 2

So, is it possible to connect my phone to a proxy server directly? I didn’t know it was possible and it would be really convenient for my work.
I am now looking for a new proxy for seo agencies because the old ones didn’t satisfy my needs anymore, and they were too expensive. I need a proxy to help me collect all the necessary information from foreign websites without any additional issues. That’s why I need a good proxy: it allows multiple connections from my one account and is almost always accessible. It is better than a VPN in this regard.