Regular drop outs

Cusack
Level 2

Nearly every day my internet drops multiple times, usually for 5-10 mins.

Originally had tp-link archerv1600 issued by TPG which did the same thing, upgraded to Netgear Nighthawk D7000, same behaviour. This has happened at (now) 3 different properties and tested with multiple modems.

I thought it was an issue with Modem-router overheating (it did get warm every time the net dropped); swapped d7000 to standalone modem mode, and hooked up Asus TUF AX4200 as a standalone router to limit the load on the D7000.
Same thing happens.
I have tried checking logs on the modem, but all it ever shows was 'dsl up' and 'dsl down'.
I have previously had TPG technicians sent out, always finding some sort of issue that they 'fix' (eg: bad routing at the node, broken cables, high noise margins etc), yet the exact same issue has persisted.
Sometimes it goes a week without dc'ing, but over 50% of the time it will drop at least once if not many times a day (4 times today alone).
I work from home and its incredibly impactful.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best configure both the D7000 (though in modem only mode theres not much to be configured there) and the AX4200 I have now added to the set up; eg: specific settings that may affect the stability of the connection.

5 REPLIES 5
alanguide
Level 7

If you are on FTTN I was going to suggest copper joint problems as I also had frequent drop outs for that reason (cured by going to FTTP). But as you said 3 different propeties, maybe that's not the explanation...

david64
Level 15

Hi @Cusack . What type of NBN connection do you have at your current location?

When you get a dropout, what is the state of the indicator lights on the NBN box (if you have one) and the wifi router?

What is your current setup? What router is doing what?

I don't think you're easing the workload by splitting it among different boxes.

If you want to save a bit of overheating, try using just 1 wifi band. Just disable the least useful band.

All 3 routers have a System Log. I'm more familiar with the VR1600. It indicates link failures with PPP messages. Other 2 might have something similar. What is in the Log when dropout occurs?

Shane

Hi @Cusack ,

Let us help check what is causing issues with the dropouts of the connection and see what we can do to rectify this.

Could you flick me a message with your details via PM?

How to send a PM?

Regards,

Nearly every day my internet drops multiple times, usually for 5-10 mins.

Originally had tp-link archerv1600 issued by TPG which did the same thing, upgraded to Netgear Nighthawk D7000, same behaviour. This has happened at (now) 3 different properties and tested with multiple modems.

I thought it was an issue with Modem-router overheating (it did get warm every time the net dropped); swapped d7000 to standalone modem mode, and hooked up Asus TUF AX4200 as a standalone router to limit the load on the D7000.
Same thing happens.
I have tried checking logs on the modem, but all it ever shows was 'dsl up' and 'dsl down'.
I have previously had TPG technicians sent out, always finding some sort of issue that they 'fix' (eg: bad routing at the node, broken cables, high noise margins etc), yet the exact same issue has persisted.
Sometimes it goes a week without dc'ing, but over 50% of the time it will drop at least once if not many times a day (4 times today alone).
I work from home and its incredibly impactful.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best configure both the D7000 (though in modem only mode theres not much to be configured there) and the AX4200 I have now added to the set up; eg: specific settings that may affect the stability of the connection.

Cusack
Level 2

@david64 wrote:

Hi @Cusack . What type of NBN connection do you have at your current location?

When you get a dropout, what is the state of the indicator lights on the NBN box (if you have one) and the wifi router?

What is your current setup? What router is doing what?

I don't think you're easing the workload by splitting it among different boxes.

If you want to save a bit of overheating, try using just 1 wifi band. Just disable the least useful band.

All 3 routers have a System Log. I'm more familiar with the VR1600. It indicates link failures with PPP messages. Other 2 might have something similar. What is in the Log when dropout occurs?

I have FTTN; modem (d7000) DSL light flashes when it drops.
Netgear D7000 is modem only mode piped into Asus AX4200 wifi 6 router (now, previously it was the D7000 doing it all). 
I had tried limiting wifi bands, turned it off completely, still got hot. Ended up getting a USB fan to test cooling it but it still wasnt bulletproof and dropped on occasion.
Logs on D7000 SUCK; and just shows DSL Down. v1600 (this was the first modem, like 3 years ago now) actually showed incoming calls on the log, as in someone was calling my service number at the time of the drops; but i spoke to TPG techs at the time and they said it was unrelated. Otherwise nothing of substance.
And the Asus logs are harder to read, theres a lot, but something like;

- pppd[2490]: Connection terminated.
- pppd[2490]: Modem hangup
- WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues.

david64
Level 15

@Cusack . Where was the USB fan being powered from? Not the unit it is trying to cool?

Routers do run warm but not uncomfortably hot.

The DSL light flashing indicates router lost contact with node and is trying to reconnect. Could be faulty node or line fault, or less likely, 2 faulty routers. 

D7000 and VR1600 both have DSL statistics. It would be useful to have each one run as normal wireless router to collect line stats.

When the VR1600 is in normal mode (not bridged), the System Log should show any failure on WAN link. Shown as PPP messages. They might be interspersed with VOIP messages but are significant regarding the WAN connection. The VOIP messages probably appear because the VOIP firmware has lost contact with the VOIP server.

The VR1600 can overheat. There's any number of calls in Community about the case discolouring due to heat. Is yours affected this way?

PS. The email from Community was delayed nearly 5 hours.