TPG Community

Get online support

Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged

SOLVED Go to solution
Markfrazer
Level 2

Hi. When i am sending an email through outlook express, i keep getting this "Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged " error message. i am able to receive emails no problem. i have virus scanned my system, nothing showed. I tested sending emails through post office on tpg site and that worked. i have checked settings in outlook and they are correct . Have changed my tpg password as some websites suggest and that did not fix it either. Would be happy if someone could help with a solution., this is getting frustrating.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @Markfrazer . Has this just started now or for some time?

Do you know if it coincides with a change to your public ip address?

Could you try rebooting your router to get a new ip address and see if that fixes it. Make a note of the ip address shown on the router's status page. Something for TPG to fix.

Your problem might relate to second para below.

550 5.7.1 <john@example.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [11.22.33.44]

This can occur if there is no "Reverse-DNS" record for your computer's IP address.  This is also known as a PTR record.  It converts an IP address to a domain name, such as "11-22-33-44.myisp.com".  Normally this is something that your Internet Service Provider is responsible for providing.  So if you confirm that there is no PTR record for your IP address, you will have to ask your ISP's support department if they can provide one.

550 Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged

In this case, the PTR record does exist.  However, when the server queries the A record for the domain named in the PTR record, it does not match the original IP address.  To the mail server, it looks like you are trying to disguise your identity.  You need to fix your A record, or create one if it does not exist.

View solution in original post

aceracer
Level 3

Restarting the router fixed this for me also

Thank you!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @Markfrazer . Has this just started now or for some time?

Do you know if it coincides with a change to your public ip address?

Could you try rebooting your router to get a new ip address and see if that fixes it. Make a note of the ip address shown on the router's status page. Something for TPG to fix.

Your problem might relate to second para below.

550 5.7.1 <john@example.com>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [11.22.33.44]

This can occur if there is no "Reverse-DNS" record for your computer's IP address.  This is also known as a PTR record.  It converts an IP address to a domain name, such as "11-22-33-44.myisp.com".  Normally this is something that your Internet Service Provider is responsible for providing.  So if you confirm that there is no PTR record for your IP address, you will have to ask your ISP's support department if they can provide one.

550 Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged

In this case, the PTR record does exist.  However, when the server queries the A record for the domain named in the PTR record, it does not match the original IP address.  To the mail server, it looks like you are trying to disguise your identity.  You need to fix your A record, or create one if it does not exist.

Markfrazer
Level 2

Thank you. A restart of the router seems to have fixed it. Thank you for the suggestion.

dodgert71
Level 2

@david64 , many thanks for this tip, I've been struggling with the same 'Forged IP' or 'IP lookup failed' errors for some time. Receiving emails OK, can't send squat.

Sent email to helpdesk but received generic 'thanks' only.
Other suggestions in community to reset my password seemed hard to believe.

You are the first to explain what might really be going on & it seems to work.

Well done.

aceracer
Level 3

Restarting the router fixed this for me also

Thank you!